Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caribbean of Puzzles

Map Caribbean of Puzzles

Created for Legend: A Game of Maps (a tabletop treasure-hunt/code-breaking game). It's eventually printed on 15"x24" Engineering paper and aged by hand with acrylic wash.

Made in Gimp, with Wacom tablet to avoid carpal tunnel. Continents hand-drawn.
    (I've posted 2 here because I haven't made up my mind which looks better: the one with rhumb lines over the continents, or the one with them just over the water. Both are historically accurate. Help please!)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cMap12.jpg 
Views:	613 
Size:	2.61 MB 
ID:	94145Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cMap12 trimmed.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	94146
    Last edited by Kasiadoris; 04-05-2017 at 11:01 PM.

Personally i dont like rhumb lines over land, so i would go with the second version.

The map is gorgeous!

They're lovely maps - well drawn and coloured, but IMHO... and it is only my opinion, remember.... there are just way too many rhumb lines altogether. Do there really have to be quite so many?

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    They're lovely maps - well drawn and coloured, but IMHO... and it is only my opinion, remember.... there are just way too many rhumb lines altogether. Do there really have to be quite so many?
    Thanks @Voolf

@Mouse The number of rhumb lines is important, and needed. I prefer not so many lines as well. They clutter a lot of stuff. BUT, since this is a puzzle game more than an accurate map, it works. Thank you for your comment!

Maybe... would it be possible to make them a bit more faint?

(I prefer them to only be in the sea as well btw)

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Wow, these are some really nice looking maps!. I concur with everyone else. the Rhumb Lines look better only going across the water.

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

Very cool looking map and nice compass roses , congrats ! I prefer the rhumb lines under the land too... The little things I don't get are the compass roses placement, the east markers on compass roses, dotted green lines and parallel lines, but these certainly make sense with your game/puzzle rules so I will not call the Portolan Chart Police !
    Which font do you use for labels ? It seems perfect for 17-19th century maps.
    Regards

@mouse I love the idea of fainter lines. That would help A LOT with the clutter. Thank you!

@Tonnichiwa Thanks for the encouragement and the vote!!!

@Tenia thanks for the help! Yeah, it looks like it's becoming a unanimous vote for rhumbs under the land. To answer your questions:

- The compass roses are placed in specific locations which create an important step in the series of clues a player must follow. Same with the number of them used on the map.

- the east markers on the compass roses: from my research, many of the 'Old World' maps had east-pointing markers on the compass roses to identify/respect the direction of the Holy Land (Jerusalem).

- dotted green lines, etc: this is taken from wikipedia - “Rhumbline Networks” - The lines of the courses for the eight main directions (or winds) are drawn with black ink (or sometimes gold); the eight intermediate directions (half-winds) are drawn in green; and in the case of a 32 winds rose, the sixteen remaining (quarter-winds) are drawn in red. The intersection of this set of "rhumblines" determine on the portolans a varied pattern of symmetrical squares, parallelograms, trapezoids and triangles.

- re: font, I tried a bunch of fonts, but felt like none of them were close enough to the originals I was researching. So, I actually pulled the Spanish names off a public-domain map from the 1700s, cleaned them up, and placed them on my map where needed. A little bit of work, but it makes it look classic.

Thank you for your questions!

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

- the east markers on the compass roses: from my research, many of the 'Old World' maps had east-pointing markers on the compass roses to identify/respect the direction of the Holy Land (Jerusalem).
    Ok, that makes sense, I was confused by the spearhead used here

- dotted green lines, etc: this is taken from wikipedia - “Rhumbline Networks” - The lines of the courses for the eight main directions (or winds) are drawn with black ink (or sometimes gold); the eight intermediate directions (half-winds) are drawn in green; and in the case of a 32 winds rose, the sixteen remaining (quarter-winds) are drawn in red. The intersection of this set of "rhumblines" determine on the portolans a varied pattern of symmetrical squares, parallelograms, trapezoids and triangles.
    Yes, your colors are OK, my question was actually why dotted lines ? It is a question of taste anyway...

- re: font, I tried a bunch of fonts, but felt like none of them were close enough to the originals I was researching. So, I actually pulled the Spanish names off a public-domain map from the 1700s, cleaned them up, and placed them on my map where needed. A little bit of work, but it makes it look classic.
    A hard work and looking very nice you did here !

@Tenia Here's the link to the map I used for labeling islands, etc. https://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D7%A7...rtier-1693.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast