Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quick City map

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I must be colour blind, I can't tell the difference between the two!
    Time for a new monitor perhaps?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Its not a colour change. Hoel has already done all the work.

All I did was put a gray layer over top and adjust the light values a little. Here's another modified version and the gray overlay map beside it.

Personally, I like to add a little noise to maps so that I escape the sense that everything in it is planned. In my own works I find a little chaos artistically applied is usually a good thing.

Here's another version of the map with the modification layer beside it. Its not about colour, its about light. The differences are sometimes really subtle. Its much cleaner to add them as a layer gray tones rather than darken\lighten the original.

This is far from perfect. Just a quick thing to deepen the surrounding country.

Sigurd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	City-with-Height-Mod.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	456.3 KB 
ID:	8642   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Height-Mod.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	241.9 KB 
ID:	8643  
    Last edited by Sigurd; 12-22-2008 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    Here's another version of the map with the modification layer beside it. Its not about colour, its about light. The differences are sometimes really subtle. Its much cleaner to add them as a layer gray tones rather than darken\lighten the original.
    Sigurd
    I concur 100%! Likewise, my standard practice fo bump maps is to always bump map a 50% grey set to overlay so that if I decide the change colors, I can do so without having to regenerate the bump map.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Sigurd, would you mind posting the before and after side by side as a single image? I can use it to caliberate my monitor (which I had spent about an hour caliberating but I still can't see any difference between the two pictures).

Happy to post some before and afters. Here is the original (top left) and the gray scale (bttm rght). The other are lighting effects changes.

None of these actually change the original base layer.

Ravells - Here they are but personally I'd suggest you find some sort of standard for calibrating against.

Sigurd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	City-Calibrate.png 
Views:	80 
Size:	3.02 MB 
ID:	8674  

I like to use Ascension's Snagglefjord and the Flash map that Gowienczyk posted in his intro thread for calibration. If I can see details in both, then I know I'm good.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Thanks Sigurd! Funny, when the maps are side by side the difference is outstandingly clear but when I compared them above, I couldn't see it! Don't worry I won't use your images to recaliberate the monitor (sorry I was expressing myself badly in the last post), but wanted to check to see if it needed recalibarating.

Post Thanks

Thanks for all the comments. I've been away for christmas so I haven't been able to reply.

Gandwarf, I'm planning on leaving it like it is. It's really not the most important town, more a warm up for mapping the campaigns real main city. I'm getting on that right after I'm finished posting. The map should be up by monday.

Jfrazierjr, The map is hand painted in photoshop. I've used lighting effects, clouds and ocean ripple filter, but other than that it's all by hand. I would say it's impossible without a tablet thou. The houses were drawn with a small square brush with size, roundness, angle and scatter on 70-80%, then beveld and stroked. The stroke may have caused some wierdness, I'll look in to it on the next project.

Sigurd, that really did it! Thanks a bunch. I'm not that good with natural shading on flat surfaces, and the angle of the slope made it even more difficult, but I'll give it a shot. The next map will have more contour and easier shading.

If anyone can give me tips on making the walls more realistic I'd appreciate it.

Stay tuned for Burgenoss, the regional capital. Lots of walls, a harbour and more detailed buildnings
    Cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12