Thread: Historical Viking Age Map 900 AD

Map Historical Viking Age Map 900 AD

This is one of my favorite maps I've map so far. It's a historical map of my favorite topic: Vikings. Vikings have a history of unleashing havoc upon unsuspecting lands in various attacks, some big, some small, but one was worse than all. It was 865 AD when the Great Heathen Army was unified, and and invaded the four Anglo-Saxon kingdoms of England. This force consisted of Norsemen of Scandinavia and was the largest force to set foot on England since the Romans. This was, essentially, an army of Vikings who set out to invade the then-divided land of England. Legend has it, that this army was led by the three sons of the legendary Viking, Ragnar Lodbrok. Their invasion later established the Danelaw, a Norse power in England. Around this time period, is what my map depicts. This is my first map post, so I'd appreciate if you'd tell me what you think. Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NorthEuropeC.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	3.31 MB 
ID:	94625
    Last edited by LordCartoart; 04-16-2017 at 11:23 AM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Very cool - the runes give it some good authenticity. I guess my only two critiques are that the title seems a bit cramped against the top of the map, and the seas are a bit barren - what about putting in some kind of (very) subtle waves, or some tide rings around the coasts?

But all in all, very nice grimdark map - looks like something an especially neat Viking might have scratched out with some charcoal on a bleached deer hide.

Thank you for your advice! I'm glad I've found a place where my work can be expertly critiqued!

Another great map! The antique-ish style fits it beautifully.
    I also really like vikings and Norse stuff, so I especially like it.
    Do you think it's a bit too detailed and precise for a viking map? I don't know what kind of maps they actually, but that's just a thought I had about it.

Wonderful map.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Very nice! Now, I'm quite impatient to see your future challenge map .