Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: April 2017 challenge: The realm of Bjorn

Post April 2017 challenge: The realm of Bjorn

As I do my work by hand, I can't show many idea yet, all I have is sloppy concept art. What I can say is that it's of a land called Bjorn ( I know, I practically speak Norwegian ja? *sarcasm*) and the inset map will be a close-up of the capital of a nation called Eiranos, but it's not a city map. I plan to do the map with pigment ink, then age the paper. I'm still open to suggestions. I will try to post my presentable concept art soon.
    Last edited by LordCartoart; 04-16-2017 at 09:33 PM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Sounds cool. Looking forward to seeing some stuff!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Concept.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	94695

Alright here's the rough map I slopped together. Nothing pretty, only the general shape and idea. I noticed that the inset map is a little too small, and doesn't give much new information, but that will be fixed when I do the map on larger paper, and shrink the area the inset map is showing. One of my problems is I don't know where I should put the title 'The Realm of Bjorn'.

Do tell me what you think of it so no mistakes are made when I start the actual map.
    Last edited by LordCartoart; 04-17-2017 at 05:59 PM.

Looking good, LordCartoart

The inset would probably look better if it enlarged a much smaller part of the map, or if you show more of the world in your main map so that the part in the inset is a greater enlargement of the Valhol Bay area?

As for where to put the title - that's a tricky one that only you can really decide, but it should go where its not in the way of the rest of the design. Maybe in the bottom right, if you move the compass and the Whispering Waters label a bit up the page?

The Mouse's words are wise and I find myself in agreement with them, yea verily.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I totally agree with Diamonds agreement with Mouse - the insert should be significantly different scale than the rest of the map - up or down in size, both would work
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Thank you all for your help, the inset map will be up-scaled and more of the world will be shown in the main map. work on the final map is now underway! . One thing though: can you tell the border in the north is the beginning of permafrost, or should that be removed?
    Last edited by LordCartoart; 04-19-2017 at 11:48 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LordCartoart View Post
    One thing though: can you tell the border in the north is the beginning of permafrost, or should that be removed?
    Didn't catch that at all - sorry. Maybe add some snowy icy symbols... ?
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Sorry about that, it's a bit hard to explain. Do you see how the words 'the Far North' at the top of the map are above a border? Everything north of that border is permafrost (permafrost is an icy layer in tundras that never melt). I added this border to give the effect of snow in the north. I'm just wondering if you can tell that this border is meant to be tundra (permafrost).

You might put a little bit of cross-hatching or something along the edge of the frost line to help it stand out a bit - right now it looks like a river.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast