Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Far Lost [Upper-Lower Levels] [commission]

Quote Originally Posted by GLS View Post
    Gorgeous work John. I love the lighting and the colouring, but as always it's your fantastic linework that really stands out!

I would rep you, but unfortunately the stunning collection of Lite Challenge entries have bled me dry for now.

Inspires me to try my hand again at some hand-drawn dungeon pieces!
    Thanks GLS
    The line woork can be tricky sometimes with a darker piece like this one.
    I played with some different line colors.
    I actually have more than one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Oh I'm very much a dunce at anything dungeony. My teenage introduction was heavily biased towards more mainstream traditional sci-fi, mainly through HG Wells, Ray Bradbury, Frank Herbert, and Isaac Asimov. Most of what I read nowadays (and most of what I write as well) is what most people would unofficially call 'pulp fantasy' I suppose, but it takes my mind off the horrors of reality instead of filling it with more. LOL!
    I love pulp fantasy [a la Robert E. Howard and others] and sci-fi of all sorts.
    Which is sort of surprising that I have no sci-fi maps.
    I have started a few, here and there, but never completed them.

What sort of pulp fantasy do you read now? any authors you'd like to share?
    Chashio just recently got me to read Hyperion [which is awesome]. I can be really behind on reading some things.
    Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Beautiful ! A special mention for the effects of light in the underground ... and especially, especially, for letters engraved in stone! The effect on all the illustration is incredible
    Thanks JO
    I had a good time doing the lighting, though it was the most time consuming part.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Jo has pretty much taken the words right out of my mouth in his comment above. I love that 'chiselled in stone' look you've achieved with the gold lettering. The lighting is very well done too, and the whole thing is just super creepy. But.... you know... in a good way!
    Hehe, thanks CP
    I know most of my maps are pretty bright and happy-ish, so dark and dire is not necessarily my style.
    Good to know I can get a different mood goin and carry it through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Von Zarovich View Post
    Can't rep you again But I really loved this map. You really nailed the occult horror theme.
    Thanks so much Derek

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    I love pulp fantasy [a la Robert E. Howard and others] and sci-fi of all sorts.
    Which is sort of surprising that I have no sci-fi maps.
    I have started a few, here and there, but never completed them.
    I am most definitely the pot calling the kettle black, but you really should finish them some day. If they are half as good as your maps they'll all be best sellers!

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    What sort of pulp fantasy do you read now? any authors you'd like to share?
    Chashio just recently got me to read Hyperion [which is awesome]. I can be really behind on reading some things.
    I regret my taste is not really my own, but only what the audio library offers, since I have no TV, and reading is near impossible for the number of floaters in my eyes that swim sickeningly to and fro as I read the lines of a physical book. And what the audio library offers in terms of sci-fi/fantasy is limited to only a few YA titles, most of which are many years out of date. Still - can't complain really. It only costs me £20 a year to be a member

Larry Niven's Ringworld was a 'new' purchase for them just recently. Despite my reluctance to fill my head with depressing depravities and twisted thoughts (heaven knows I have enough of my own to deal with when I'm writing), I thoroughly enjoyed it - that and Ender's Game (Orson Scott Card), which is even worse! Other than that I read all kinds of things that are as diverse as Ken Goddard's horror sci-fi First Evidence, and Christopher Paolini's high fantasy Inheritance Cycle.

I'll see if I can get the library to purchase Hyperion so that I can read it too

The line art (not work) is great as usual, yet, seems more subtle and it seems you used different hues or opacities. Is it new ? The texturing is awesome. I try to mimic it in my doodles but I realize that a fineliner is too crude a tool for such a delicate work, thanks for making me realize that. You are a king of lettering but those chiseled letters are a new high. And last, your lights !! How you play with the shadows cast by the pillars and especially the irregularities of the ground is outstanding ! With this piece, I feel your art just opened a new door. Your incredible sense of detail on such a map gives a terrific result. And judos for the horrific mood

A sephiroth tree dungeon ? Very cool idea!
    Sadly, I haven't much to add to the previous comments. Drawing, lights & shadows, details... it's just awesome...

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I am most definitely the pot calling the kettle black, but you really should finish them some day. If they are half as good as your maps they'll all be best sellers!

I regret my taste is not really my own, but only what the audio library offers, since I have no TV, and reading is near impossible for the number of floaters in my eyes that swim sickeningly to and fro as I read the lines of a physical book. And what the audio library offers in terms of sci-fi/fantasy is limited to only a few YA titles, most of which are many years out of date. Still - can't complain really. It only costs me £20 a year to be a member
    Larry Niven's Ringworld was a 'new' purchase for them just recently. Despite my reluctance to fill my head with depressing depravities and twisted thoughts (heaven knows I have enough of my own to deal with when I'm writing), I thoroughly enjoyed it - that and Ender's Game (Orson Scott Card), which is even worse! Other than that I read all kinds of things that are as diverse as Ken Goddard's horror sci-fi First Evidence, and Christopher Paolini's high fantasy Inheritance Cycle.

I'll see if I can get the library to purchase Hyperion so that I can read it too
    Orson Scott Card has a number of really good books and short story collections. Yep.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    The line art (not work) is great as usual, yet, seems more subtle and it seems you used different hues or opacities. Is it new ? The texturing is awesome. I try to mimic it in my doodles but I realize that a fineliner is too crude a tool for such a delicate work, thanks for making me realize that. You are a king of lettering but those chiseled letters are a new high. And last, your lights !! How you play with the shadows cast by the pillars and especially the irregularities of the ground is outstanding ! With this piece, I feel your art just opened a new door. Your incredible sense of detail on such a map gives a terrific result. And kudos for the horrific mood
    Thanks Thomas
    Yep, new line style. I use some lighter greys under darker colors and also some intermittent high light lines too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    A sephiroth tree dungeon ? Very cool idea!
    Sadly, I haven't much to add to the previous comments. Drawing, lights & shadows, details... it's just awesome...
    Thanks Ilanthar

That's just beautiful! Really nice use of color. I love the stone texture along the walls. Kudos.

Cheers
    -Arsheesh

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123