Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: April 2017 Challenge: The Eastern Lands of Lyranth

Maybe making the roads a bit more obvious would help a bit with the emptiness in the middle? Yes... No...?

I was just thinking it might be easier to add a couple of places and accentuate the road system than add another mountain chain at this late stage.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Yeah, that could be an easier solution. I'll give a shot later when I'm back on my laptop!

If that doesn't look right you could add a desert in the heartland, or a few more forests?

Depends on time, though - I know

I had a quick play around with adding some more forests in the middle, but they just didn't look quite right. (As I'm sure ThomasR would agree, forests are always a right pain )

Anywho, I added a few more hills, another couple of place, tweaked the roads, and altered the colouration a bit more, so hopefully it's a bit better. I don't really want to do anything too overkill.

Here's the ### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lyranth update 554000602.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	95321

I also did a quick version with darker roads, though I think the subtler ones work a little better.

Name:	Lyranth Update Codename Red.jpg 
Views:	41 
ID:	95322

Oh dear! Now you've gone and done it. I can't decide whether I like the pale roads or the dark ones better now! LOL!

Dark or light, I really like this map

I think the "darker roads" are much easier to see. The circles remain articulate to the eye. The clarity of the "light roads" get a little lost to my eyes...even zoomed in...creating a bit of a haze anomaly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Oh dear! Now you've gone and done it. I can't decide whether I like the pale roads or the dark ones better now! LOL!

Haha, I guess that's a good thing!

Quote Originally Posted by WarBeer View Post
    I think the "darker roads" are much easier to see. The circles remain articulate to the eye. The clarity of the "light roads" get a little lost to my eyes...even zoomed in...creating a bit of a haze anomaly.
    Thanks, WarBeer, I've opted for a compromise between the two. The roads have a stronger shadow to them and I've boosted their yellow a tad too.

So, unless I have a sudden brainwave, or somebody else comes up with a suggestion I can do quickly, I think this will probably be the final version!

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	The Eastern Lands of Lyranth.jpg 
Views:	34 
ID:	95325

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

Haha, I guess that's a good thing!

Quote Originally Posted by WarBeer View Post
    Thanks, WarBeer, I've opted for a compromise between the two. The roads have a stronger shadow to them and I've boosted their yellow a tad too.

So, unless I have a sudden brainwave, or somebody else comes up with a suggestion I can do quickly, I think this will probably be the final version!

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	The Eastern Lands of Lyranth.jpg 
Views:	103 
ID:	95326

*EDIT* Well, I didn't have a brainwave (too be honest, nothing like that is particularly likely ), but I did have a change of mind and went for a red look with faint gold rims to sort of match the cities.

Roads twice the width? Now I'm having difficulty seeing them!

Sorry Greg!!!

EDIT: yes - red is better, but I still think the road itself needs to be wider? Maybe not twice as wide, but more noticeable?
    Last edited by Mouse; 05-01-2017 at 03:50 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast