Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quellgris (Redux)

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Default Quellgris (Redux)

Ohai!

So, as part of my effort to go back and "level-up" (basically redo, retouch, re-imagine, realize, and all the other re- prefixes) some of my previous maps, I present to you, this new and mightily improved version of Quelgriss, now called Quellgris, because... why not.
    I've so far updated that map and these two other maps, Bulbremeth and Central Alemnia. My goal is to get these maps printed on some cool metal posters from displate.com, and they need to be at a certain resolution to produce good results. So, I've made the map bigger, added some more stuff, changed a few textures around, and made the overall map just a bit cooler, I hope.

Anyway, enjoy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map_XXX.jpg 
Views:	612 
Size:	7.69 MB 
ID:	94326

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks great - love the muted colors, the distress of the map and the border - and think it would look cool as a metal poster
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Beautiful map! I hope the metal poster turns out good because that sounds awesome!

Your style is awesome as usual, but this time I'm not fond of the banners: the illustrations are nice, but too modern for my taste. However the names and labels are really cool! I don't pay so much attention usually, but you got lot of cool ideas!

Love it! Really love the shaping of the continents, with the kind of center sea for it all to hinge on. Far beyond driven, though? Someone been listening to some Pantera?

Guild Novice

Nicely done. How did you do the mountains?

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    ...think it would look cool as a metal poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino44 View Post
    I hope the metal poster turns out good because that sounds awesome!
    I hope so too. 'Cause they're not exactly cheap. Shipping is free if you order 3+ posters, though. Not advertising for Displate, just saying.
    I've purchased 3 from the animal heads collection (they look real cool IRL!), but now I'm having customs made and those might not translate well to print. I think I'll speak with their online support, which is also great, BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    ...I'm not fond of the banners: the illustrations are nice, but too modern for my taste
    I see what you mean. But my "New Weird" sensibility says that the universe of this map is indeed modern-esque, with advanced societies, science and culture and whatnot, but also magicks and monsters and gods and all that fantasy goodness. Also, I wanted to keep the flags mostly simple and easy to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Niddhogg View Post
    Far beyond driven, though? Someone been listening to some Pantera?
    Cool, you got the reference. Yeah, Pantera is awesome, and FBD is my favorite album by far. "I'm born again, with snake's eyes, becoming, god size."
    Now go find the Warcraft II, Bloodborne and Magic: The Gathering references!

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Grice View Post
    Nicely done. How did you do the mountains?
    In Photoshop and very simply: Fill a layer with a solid color and create a layer mask set to hide everything and set layer to fill 0%. Then create a bevel & emboss layer style and set it to inner bevel, chisel soft, depth 100%, size 15, highlight mode and shadow mode at opacity 50%. Create a pattern overlay layer style and set it to opacity 30%, scale 30% and the pattern Satin. Then you simply draw the mountains to your liking in the layer mask with a small-ish brush set to a low opacity.
    That way you can control how the mountains "rise" by drawing with varying opacities. Hope that makes sense?
    Last edited by Daelin; 04-06-2017 at 03:35 AM.

Outstanding map. I havent been here when you did the original maps. Its so nice you did those redoo, because of that i could see your work.
    Aside from map i really love you emblems and flags on maps. Very professional work. Top-notch

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Excellent ! A very homogeneous and very consistent map in the choice of colors. The poster will be very impressive!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast