Thread: W.I.P. and seeking advice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question W.I.P. and seeking advice

I've got elevation and fresh waters mostly done on my map and I want to start putting towns, etc, in. But I can't decide what kind of icons to use. Like, how abstract or otherwise; and what style.

The map looks like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PI piece of southern coast .png 
Views:	71 
Size:	2.45 MB 
ID:	94675

Can anyone show me some map icons they think would look good on this style of map?

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That's a really cool looking map! In my opinion, simple is best on a map like this - circle variations, for example. Small hollow dot = village, small solid dot = town, large solid dot = city, etc etc. I think if you get too busy with them, the icons will actually detract from the cool landforms.

Thanks for your compliment and advice. I'll take it.

Blog Entries

Maps don't just exist to be maps, they have a purpose, be it navigation, analysis, arguing a point, or acting as a reference (reference maps are the closest you'll find to maps for the sake of begin maps, but even then there is specific purpose) Which data you present and how you present it depends on your goal.

What symbology is appropriate also depends what information is being presented. In particular the density of that feature set and others.

So, make sure you have a clear idea of what the map is intended to accomplish, then get all the information for the map in place so you can look at how it fits together, then you will be in a position to decide how to design symbology.

Praise

Your map seems to be almost a topographical map. Simple symbols would be the best for that and keep them small so as not to take away the focus of the topography.

Also what is the purpose of the map? Base you symbols on that. Simple is best.

F.B.

PS. I like the look... it is much like the style I am going for myself. Great job.

Thanks Hai & Frost. The maps meant to be for a D&D campaign, or rather now I'm leaning towards Pathfinder. My current concern is the style of the symbols. Some of the meanings I know and some I'll determine as I go. I just want to pin the look down first. I've decided to go with simple symbols like Diamond and Frost said, and fairly abstract. Circles and dots.

Frost Birch, are you ready to show some of what you've made in a similar style? I'd like to see it.

Having a hex grid in your case is just for scale determination I believe. I did find some hex grid symbols but they are to determine what is generally found in a grid hex. http://mystara.thorfmaps.com/wiki/in...dart-b%26w.png but I mainly dropped this link to show the way the synbols for the Captital/City/Town/Village differ. I like the Capital being a differnt color to stand out.

F.B.

PS. my map thread is https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=37579 but it is just starting....

I'll be watching your thread grow with interest.

Those hex icons you showed me look familiar. I thought they were from Hexographer but I checked and didn't see them. Know where their from originally? I like them and might use something like them in the future though probably not now. You're right: the current map has hexes just for easy distance measuring.