Thread: [WIP] The Continent

Wip [WIP] The Continent

So, it's been a long time since I have posted on here - and this is only my second post!

However, I'm trying to get back into cartography for my fantasy writing, and this is a Work In Progress of my newest land, so far called only 'The Continent' which will be the primary land I write in, for now (although the outlines of the other continent and archipelago are drawn!).

The Continent

The World

These have both been created on my iPad Pro, using Procreate and an Apple Pencil. I am very much learning as I go, and it's a steep learning curve, but I'm enjoying trying! There is a lot to be changed, granted - and I'm tempted to change the way I portray forests and mountains to symbols instead. I wish I had access to brushes, but I can't seem to find any. Still, it's all part of the experience, I suppose!

Any hints and tips are very welcome, of course, as well as any criticism!

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Congrats on posting such a mappy second post .. you got a really good start here, nice oulines of your landmasses. There are 2 things that "bothers" me - first off, the background is a bit blurry yet dominating, maybe wait with the parchment till you're done detailing the world? ... the second is your partitioning the landmasses in areas. When you use the same line you use for your outlines you can't really tell those two apart and so, the land seems to be separate masses pushed close together or cut up by really long canals. Try using a dotted line instead, or coloring ... other than that - great work, looking forward to seeing it progress.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Thank you so much for your advice - I wasn't particularly happy with how it looked, and I've been changing a lot of things since the last time I posted this is still not finished (I need to draw in the forests in Procreate, and then export out to add in text) but it is - in my opinion - looking far, far better.

Once more, any criticisms and suggestions are incredibly welcome!

Pure Geographical Features

With Political Boundaries