Thread: Criticism requested

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Can't offer many more critiques other than what the rest have already said.

I think you've got a pretty good handle on the shaded relief for an early attempt. That's not something I've tried as of yet. Did you follow a tutorial somewhere? I wouldn't mind having the link to it if you did.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

looks good

Aside from the above critiques, I would only add that the the hills under the trees to the north are only visible where the trees are not. As you are trying your own techniques here, I would suggest finding a way to give the trees over the hills some impression of height or elevation. I have no suggestion as to how to go about it except maybe through shading and lightening the trees on the hills somehow.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

All I would do is make the trees a bit darker...they look quite bright.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Did you follow a tutorial somewhere? I wouldn't mind having the link to it if you did.
    I found a tutorial hidden on shadedrelief.com. I had been to the site many times before I found it. Here is the direct link.
    http://www.shadedrelief.com/retro/index.html

Very good site. I just skimmed the article, so I apologize if what I am about to say was already covered there. Torstan suggested an improvement to this technique some time back--create a layer and fill it with a medium gray: 127, 127, 127 in RGB. Put that layer above all of your terrain layers and set its blending mode to Overlay. The new layer should vanish--all of the gray pixels are now transparent. Do shaded relief manipulations on this new layer, and they'll affect all the layers below them but they will not actually change any of the other layers. Your shaded relief will be completely non-destructive, and if you decide to add new features later on, they'll automatically receive the relief treatment without you having to do any difficult matching later on.

For an example of how this looks under the trees, take a look at this image:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MenninsHallow.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	2.54 MB 
ID:	8752  
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name