Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The city of Tevreh

Quote Originally Posted by AaronSchmidt View Post
    The curves of the divers walls are dynamic and organic. Makes me feel like they were created organically as the city grew up.

The faux Sanskrit font is a nice touch. Does that mean the world has an Indian subcontinent influence? I know in India there is the red fort of Agra that uses a naturally red brick for the structure. https://goo.gl/images/Z7w6HP

Was that an influence also?
    Thank you very much, the organic growth was the intention. And that fort looks amazing, I could use that to show my players how the city palace looks from the side. My idea for this world and campaign is partly based on an idea I had a while ago to make a desert based Lizardmen army for Warhammer Fantasy. I really got into writing lore for it, discovered D&D and decided to do a campaign. The Al-Qadim setting for AD&D has been a big influence, but also Shift and the WOOL Trilogy by Hugh Howey inspire my world. The red bricks were there because I wanted Tevreh to be a bit different of the classic white houses/tents in the other cities, and I had the idea of having clay pits in the vicinity and pottery as a main business activity. Hence the red roofs and the presence of bricks ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Tenia View Post
    Great map Juhrer, good looking on the rendering on elevation which is a hard work on bevel and shadows I guess, Bravo !
    Merci beaucoup!

Guild Member

I love Wool. It is a great novel. Still haven't picked up the sequels yet.

I went to Agra over 5 years ago and the fort really stood out. I have a thing for the lizardman race. In a dnd campaign I run they are called Verdant and live by the sea.

So do the lizardmen ride camels or giant lizards?

Quote Originally Posted by AaronSchmidt View Post
    I love Wool. It is a great novel. Still haven't picked up the sequels yet.

I went to Agra over 5 years ago and the fort really stood out. I have a thing for the lizardman race. In a dnd campaign I run they are called Verdant and live by the sea.

So do the lizardmen ride camels or giant lizards?
    Lizards should only ride bigger lizards ^^

Guild Member

Ha! Nice, I can get behind that sentiment.

This is kinda sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by Juhrer
    Quote Originally Posted by HadrianVI
    This is a very nice map. And great work with the bevel effect.

If you wanted to add a bit more variation to your beveled cliffs, you could try this:
    Create another sheet just on top of the one with the bevel effect. Then create an entity with the same texture as you have now on the top of the cliffs and follow the top of the cliff.
    Once this is done, increase the bevel size. This won't be noticeable because the top of the cliff is now covered by the new layer. Now you can start adding variations to the new sheet. If you want, for example a smooth upper end of a cliff, use a mask to fade out the contour of the new layer. Or if you wanted to emphasize the steepness of the cliff add a slight dark glow (this could probably be achieved by creating another layer just below the new one and use a smooth dark brush). Also, you can vary the height of the cliffs by moving the edge of the new layer.

Thank you so much for that advice. To be fair, I've struggled with a good 45 minutes and just couldn't find a way to make the hills more realistic (I'm actually pretty dissatisfied with how they turned out). I'm making some of the smaller towns around Tevreh (a University town, some farm and mining towns) and will certainly try and experiment a bit more, maybe to come back to Tevreh.
    Sorry for the late reply I have apparently overseen your post. If you need further advice on how to work with the bevel effect let me know. And if you wanted an example on how the "covering up the top"-technique looks, you could check out my own city project on the ProFantasy Forum: http://forum.profantasy.com/comments...page=1#Item_47

Cheers

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looking really good, congrats on your finished city... if you'd like a little critique as well so you can get even better, I'd take a look at your work with shadows. They will normally be the darkest closest to the building so perhaps you can work with the curve of the shadow to enhance that. Also some of the shadows is not attached to the building and some of the bridges have shadows indicating that they are high in the air, which I doubt is the case. You can also tint some of the roofs so that they aren't all the same. It looks as photoshop bevels, so I'm guessing that might be what you use. . .if that is so, you can make a layer on top of the roofs, then ALT-click on the line between the two to get a layer that only affects what is underneath - that way you can work with a brush of color on a low strength to tint the roofs without painting outside the "lines" ... good luck on your work - and the campaign
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12