Thread: A World Without Rome?

Map A World Without Rome?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EuropeWithoutRome.png 
Views:	174 
Size:	5.15 MB 
ID:	95552
    The idea behind this map is: what if Rome never rose to power? The first thought that came to me was that Carthage would become the dominating ruler of the Mediterranean Sea. That is when I began to wonder what would happen elsewhere. Rome had an enormous impact on western culture, and this influence continues today from government buildings to even the American constitution.

Carthage was nothing like Rome, eventually rebellions took place, stripping Carthage of her hold on Greece and Israel. Rome had trouble with Greece, and as said before: Carthage was not like Rome, so Greece had a successful rebellion. Just as the Jews had rebelled against the Greeks and the Romans, the Jews also rebelled against Carthage. It is not that the Jews are any more rebellious than the Gentiles, it is just the clash of drastically different cultures, and cruelties of man's unaccepting ways, which caused it. The Carthaginian Empire being severed by these two rebellions, left Anatolia to form in the gap that was left.

Now in the north the "barbarians" are undisturbed. Carthage was more centered on trade, and wasn't as militaristic as the Romans, therefore Carthage expansion only reached around the coasts if the Mediterranean. In the north there rose Celtica, Germanica, Scandinavia, and three British kingdoms.

This is what led to the map that you see now. Hope you like it! If you're interested, see the full story on my blog HERE.

That's a really interesting and thought provoking map, Evan

Is there a reason why the coastline is so pixelated - so squared-off?

That's very interesting idea.

But what is about Egypt? As far as I know, it was not ruled by Carthage or Rome at the time of the Punic wars. Rome eventually captured it, but I would not be so sure, if Carthage would be equally capable.

Also, since Carthage was more focused on trade, it would probably not even have taken hold of larger territories outside of its mainlands but rather established cities that served as trading centers. In some locations it would probably have made sense to capture the surrounding land as well, but that depends on the technological standard of the local civilization. I am certainly no expert on this matter and I don't know the technological standards of the various regions at the time. But I know that the expansion of the roman empire stopped not because of military reasons but because it just did not make sense to conquer under developed terrain. Still, in some cases Rome did conquer territories that were under developed from a Roman point of view, but these conquests were usually driven by domestic political reasons (ambitious Generals - yes, Iulius I'm talking about you - had to make a mark) than a thoughtful strategy on expansion.

The coast was suppose to look like it was laced with iron... I guess that didn't work. The reason it looks squared off is that the coastlines are 3 pixels thick. I did try to make this map bigger, it's 2100x1721. I should have stuck with the one pixel thick black coast I normally do.
    Last edited by LordCartoart; 05-09-2017 at 08:30 PM.

Its certainly an interesting style

I find the bigger the map, the better everything looks at the end. I usually don't do anything smaller than 8000 pi square. There's more scope for a range of fine lines, and if you reduce the exported map by about 50% using bicubic downsampling, no pixilation at all.

I'd love to see you work a map from scratch - a Work In Progress thread

Thanks Mouse and Hadrian. Speaking of Rome, is that Emperor Hadrian by chance? You're actually completely right about Egypt. I completely ignored its existence! Thanks for telling me.

It is actually the Protagonist of the novel I'm trying to write. But the inspiration did come from the Emperor Hadrian.

Speaking of Hadrian - I'm not sure about there being two nations in Great Britain as the divide between Scotland and England was created by none other than the Romans. Hadrian's Wall is what separated the people either side of the border. Prior to that the population was tribal with various Iron Age civilisations throughout the land. I'd imagine the Saxons would have invaded sooner than they did, but I'm not certain if they'd have conquered the Britons who were very much supported by their shamanic druids. It was Rome's discipline and sheer numbers that finally subdued those painted, naked loonies, plus they slaughtered many of the druids at their college on Ynys Mon. The druids would have evoked the gods to fight on their side, so with this belief the Britons would have been fierce warriors.

It is a very interesting concept though. And an interesting map.

Actually, the empire Celtica conquered Ireland and England father back in the history, and they, like the Romans left the mountains lands of Scotland unclaimed. Britannia and Hibernia later split from the empire leave three nations in Britannia. Also, normally the Briton land was split in various nations throughout history, while Scotland remained relatively united. Of course, it would make sense for England and Scotland to be united, but in my eyes, it also makes sense for it to be divided. Good point though, the Romans did cause the major division between the two areas.

EDIT: The post on my blog explains the way the nations are (this is just one theory of what would happen if Rome did not rise, it's only my idea).
    Last edited by LordCartoart; 05-10-2017 at 01:37 PM.