Thread: Issue when mapping a city :-( Needy of some help pls!

Map Issue when mapping a city :-( Needy of some help pls!

Hi, guys! keterine here. I'm new on the forum, so... many thanks for the space for posting here.

Well, I am a Graphic Designer, have done many design related things before but never a map of a entire city, that's why I do need some help :-)

I am mapping a city (a real one, not a fantasy city) and in my map I need to insert nodes that will basically guide the guests of a hostel through the main touristic spots of the city and also the best places to eat, drink, chill out, etc... This would be actually easy to do if I needed a small sized map, but I need to print a 2.40x1.20m map and fix it to one of the walls of a hostel, which basically means I need a "vector based map" that I can resize as I need.

Another thing, I must choose the touristic spots which I want to be in my map, because not wall the spots I encounter in the maps available online (in OpenMapStreet and google maps) are relevant to me. So I need to find a online service or software that will allow me to choose and insert only the spots I want to be in my map and then allow me to download my map in vector format.

In resume:
    - I need a online service or software that will allow me to:
    a) Start mapping from sketch with a clean map of my city (with only the basic information of a map in it, as names of streets and neighborhoods, but surely not several different irrelevant stores, parks and so on).
    b) Automatically search for the spots I insert and then add these spots to my map. Automatically connect one spot to another with the proper streets, in a way that I can spend most of my time finding the interesting spots I want to add to my map rather than adding the spots and drawing the streets that connect them myself.
    c) The final result must be a vector based map, if possible a layered one that will work very fine in Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw or AutoCad.

Thank You so much guys, I really appreciate any of your time to help me! :-)

Karine <3
    c)

I don't have experience with this, but you might consider looking at OpenStreetMap again. They allow you to export any section of a map as SVG: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/SVG. If that map doesn't have all the detail and buildings you need, consider adding it yourself! Either by memory, estimation or by looking at arial photographs of the same location. At some point, you'll need to add custom detail to any map, but this should do much of the work for you. Good luck!