Thread: Westdiep (City Designer 3)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I'm with Hoel in how could I have missed this (especially as much as I'm in and out of here). This is right up their with all of your other maps.

I'm wondering if their isn't some sort of anti-aliasing function in CD3 that could be applied to help remove at least some of the "jaggies".

Nice work Gandwarf...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    I'm wondering if their isn't some sort of anti-aliasing function in CD3 that could be applied to help remove at least some of the "jaggies".

Nice work Gandwarf...
    I haven't found that function yet
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

I don't use it myself but I'd imagine there would be some AA options when you rasterize it. It's a shame if you can't do it. In high res it really shows, and with such a nice map and all.

CC is notoriously awful when it comes to aliasing issues. The best solution I have found so far is to export at twice the size you need, give it a 2 pixel blur in a raster editor, and then resample to the final size.

At the size you often work, though, I'm not sure what trying to export at double resolution would do.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    At the size you often work, though, I'm not sure what trying to export at double resolution would do.
    Not much I think. I have exported these maps at enormous dimensions and when shrinking they still tend to get jaggies. I tried some different techniques in my Concetron map (adding blurs to the houses) and the jaggies are less of a problem there.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    Not much I think. I have exported these maps at enormous dimensions and when shrinking they still tend to get jaggies. I tried some different techniques in my Concetron map (adding blurs to the houses) and the jaggies are less of a problem there.
    I would urge you to look at my tut which covers resampling in some depth. I did say in that text that most programs really suck at down sampling and give some hints to fix the issue. Adding a blur of just the right size and using the fastest pixel resize (nearest neighbor) is in my opinion the best way to do it. I show examples of why I think this is true.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2596 post #11 is where its at. Look at the image too and see the difference.

If you have any more trouble then post a little bit of the map at high res and ill show what you need to do. Just looking at your map high res this time. Yes definitely and easily fixable but you will need to post a bit of city at 4x or so that res for me to show you if you cant figure it out from the tut.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 01-07-2009 at 01:08 PM.