Thread: Forgotten Temple WIP

Wip Forgotten Temple WIP

I am currently working on and off on a suggested map from twitter. I am past the paper stage and am currently cleaning up the lines on the scanned version and refining some small details.
    The idea is that this is a Forgotten Temple of a god or demon, somewhere deep in the desert or rocky mountains. It is designed to be a dungeon crawl and exploration for d&d.
    I am planing on designing objects for the map that are addable and changeable in layers, so they can be added to any map - I will probably refit them into a pack to sell at some point.
    Any feedback is welcome.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FT.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	3.23 MB 
ID:	95820
    ### Latest WIP ###

Guild Adept Guild Sponsor

Midway up the left side, there's a circle with lines intersecting it. Is that a spiral staircase? I'm not sure.

For any D&D project, make sure you establish a grid early. How do the five-foot squares match up against your map? Your end users will need to know that, regardless of whether they're drawing the map out by hand on a vinyl battlemap, printing it out to scale, or using it in virtual tabletop software like Roll20.

I tried fiddling around with grids on your sample image, and the closest I could get was 76 pixels per square. Most of the rooms were okay-ish at that size. But even that left a great many corridors and rooms where the squares didn't match up, leaving hallways that were bisected by two different squares, and walls leaving only a half-square available.

I generally design at 100px to the square, because that works perfectly for printing at 100 DPI, and it can easily be scaled down to 70 pixels per square (the roll20 default size) without too much loss of detail.

Nice map Reilith. As wdmartin said the grid is important for actual play and it can be hell trying to get one to fit digitally if the original was drawn on graph paper with non-standard squares. I have a graph pad at work for example (given to me by one of our suppliers) that has 6mm squares where most commercial papers are 2mm, 5mm & 10mm. The commercial ones make it much easier to calculate the grid size digitally. If using non-commercial paper it may be easier to "leave" the grid in the playable areas.
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

Hello and thank you for the feedback. I am planning to add the grid later on, as I intend to colour the map before that. The rooms are pretty large, but I did use graph paper of 5 mm under the paper I was drawing on, so the walls are all aprox. 5 mm each. I am still trying to find the best way to show them and not use up as much. And yes, that is a spiral staircase, I need to redraw it. All the small hallways are 5 ft wide, so they correspond to the 5 mm graph.

Nice layout / design.