Thread: Wip

Default Wip

I use Gimp and wanted to create maps similar to Torgaard in his battle maps for Hoard of the Dragon Queen

I need critique on the road and the smoke, and anything else you can think of.

The left one is mine and the right map is the target style.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Try1.png 
Views:	154 
Size:	5.69 MB 
ID:	95165   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	greenest01.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	578.7 KB 
ID:	95166  

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected flyenemu's Avatar

Hahamiso,

When I compare the two maps, I find myself liking your rendition a bit better on the principal of legibility. Though your reference material offers superior detail in the flames and smoke, I would find it quite difficult to be able to understand what is going on at a glance. I find this attempt to be quite a success!

If it were me, I would review the lighting rules of your system and ensure the illumination from the burning building is accurately represented on the map. You don't want to cause confusion mid battle, and then have to pull up the rules. If you plan on using a grid overlay of any kind, I would caution anything too dark, as you want to have something that contrasts with the darkness of the shadows. Small things I would look into changes would be the fire on the building, as it looks rather 'cut and paste' rather than erupting from the building, and perhaps deviate from your source and add some trees/foliage.

I hope my critique is helpful, and wish you the best on your work!