Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Antique-style maps in Photoshop

Okay, here's where I'm stuck... I'm on step 12 where you create a new layer filled with white and set the Ocean layer to gradient overlay. I'm unable to find a tool in gimp for gradient overlay. There's an overlay command, but it causes the tips of the rivers I drew to be shown. Any help will be repaid with eternal gratitude... and a mars bar. :-)
    Last edited by Jarrod; 08-20-2009 at 10:36 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Gradient Overlay is a Layer Style in PS - there is a plug-in that approximates some of these functions available for GIMP.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Next, for each country change the layer’s fill to 0%. Click back on the first country layer. Add a layer style of Inner glow…use red, opacity is 75%, size is 10.
    Hey, I keep running in to a problem at this point. When I add the inner glow, it will only show up on the parts of the country that are on the shore. It won't show up on any part of the country's border that is touching another country.

All these layers are above the land, so it's not that problem, and I'm at my ends. Anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected AslanC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
    Hey, I keep running in to a problem at this point. When I add the inner glow, it will only show up on the parts of the country that are on the shore. It won't show up on any part of the country's border that is touching another country.

All these layers are above the land, so it's not that problem, and I'm at my ends. Anyone have any idea why this is happening?
    I am having the same problem and was going to post, but you beat me too it.

Would love to know how to fix this

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Well I'm at a loss to figure that out. Can you show me a shot of the layers there that are hidden in the countries folder?
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Let me make more countries on it and then I will post that screenie for you.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I think we sorted the problem, the noise layer got moved above the country layers at some point. Moving that underneath solved the issue.

yay detectivework!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

I am stupid

This is my issue. Same thing, but the noise file is still under the country layers. Any ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	layersissue.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	16401   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	classicma****ue.png 
Views:	130 
Size:	908.1 KB 
ID:	16402  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

It looks like you have a paper texture layer above the countries layers, could you show me the full screenshot showing the layer stack?
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast