Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Antique-style maps in Photoshop

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Looks like you've done a nice job and Tear's mountains look pretty cool here - almost like a shaded relief map. I have no idea what pattern set the pattern is in, my brain is getting old. I know I made my own, various sizes and scales, so you can always do that but here's the one I used for this - it's 5 x 5 pixels (very small).
    Thanks for the input and example; I should get some practice creating my own patterns so why not start now? I was trying to use Tear's mountains to illustrate the hundreds of tiny lines used on this map but I can see them working as shaded relief.

You can generate different stripe patterns here for use in PS:

http://www.stripegenerator.com/

Nice! Thank you for the link.

Hi, I'm going through the tutorial right now. I'm at the part where you add the pattern overlay to the countries but I can't seem to find the one with the diagonal lines...checked every set of patterns and can't find it. Also, the borders on my country have no inner glow. How do I get it so that country borders have the inner glow? Any idea where I went wrong?
    Last edited by Fallout; 02-10-2010 at 09:59 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

As for the pattern, it's there in post #112, any white between borders is because you need to leave the initial black line (it should be a 1 pixel wide line and therefore almost unnoticeable), inner glows = no...should be a full solid color that is then selected, contracted (say 10 pixels), feathered (10 pixels), and the middle is deleted leaving a glowlike appearance.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

My gradient overlay is not showing up very well for the ocean. I can't see the blue/pink come through at all. Possibly a layer problem? I have it within the "Main Map" folder which is in the order of: Land, Noise, Ocean, White.

Okay I've gotten to step 10:
    "10. Let’s add some cities now. Change back to the pencil and grab the hard round 5-pixels tip. Click on the
    “mountains” layer and create a new layer, rename it to “cities”. Put a dot wherever you want it. On the layers palette,
    right click on this layer and choose “Paste layer style” (this puts that 1-pixel black stroke around the dot and makes
    the dot itself invisible). Since this is supposed to be something more modern we will need lots of cities and towns…we
    do not need to make this a sparsely settled map like we would for something medieval. Also, what makes this style
    map seem nice is the sheer amount of text on it, but I’ll get to that later…for now put in lots of dots. We will only
    name cities and towns so don’t worry about that too much…yet. I put dots at every river delta, wherever two rivers
    meet, and then wherever seems kind of empty ((pic antique 16))."

I'm not sure why, but when I right-click to select the cities layer I made, I don't see "Paste layer style" as an option. I've messed around and found I can use Select Pixels to select all the dots, but using Layer Style > Stroke just makes the dots bigger. I think I missed a step somewhere or part of a process.

.TM7
    Currently using Photoshop CS3, GIMP, MapTool, and planning to try Inkscape, Illustrator and Wilbur "real soon now."
    Running and playing as much 4e as I can.
    All work I post here and refer to as "mine" can be used under this Creative Commons license

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Most likely. Check the earlier steps to see what the layer style is so that you can apply it to the dots.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I'm not finding it. What layer style can one paste that puts an n pixel stroke around an object and knocks the object out at the same time?

.TM7
    Currently using Photoshop CS3, GIMP, MapTool, and planning to try Inkscape, Illustrator and Wilbur "real soon now."
    Running and playing as much 4e as I can.
    All work I post here and refer to as "mine" can be used under this Creative Commons license

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

If you put the stroke, that one is obvious. the other one is not so much - look up near the top of the layer palette and look for the Fill percentage - default is 100% so it's completely opaque. Changing this value changes the opacity of the object on the layer, so if you set it to 0% it will turn the object transparent without affecting the layer style.

that setting will copy and paste as part of the overall layer style.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast