Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Antique-style maps in Photoshop

That did it! Thanks CM! Thats a neat trick. I'd have never figured that out on my own...

.TM7
    Currently using Photoshop CS3, GIMP, MapTool, and planning to try Inkscape, Illustrator and Wilbur "real soon now."
    Running and playing as much 4e as I can.
    All work I post here and refer to as "mine" can be used under this Creative Commons license

Wip

Here's a WIP image. I used the Woodblook outline style and I'm messing around with Inner Shadow rather than Inner Glow for the countries. I also used the Tree Thing for the trees.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Antique WM.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	22468

.TM7
    Currently using Photoshop CS3, GIMP, MapTool, and planning to try Inkscape, Illustrator and Wilbur "real soon now."
    Running and playing as much 4e as I can.
    All work I post here and refer to as "mine" can be used under this Creative Commons license

Great tutorial! I'm pretty new to these forums, and I finally needed a map for a campaign I'm developing. I really like this style, and within a days work I've got some great results. The method for making land is simply awesome! It creates nice, natural looking coastlines and lakes.

I'm a long time PS user, but this is flexing some muscles I haven't used in a while. I'm using PS7 as well, (can't justify the price of newer versions at this point) but all steps work the same (except for the Hard Mix at the very beginning, but I worked around that)

My question now is how did you get that great antique parchment look? I'll keep working at it, as I've got a lot more to go, but bravo to you for this tutorial!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Just some grunge brushes and the texture filter using canvas. For the folds there might have been a real image used but I can't remember the tut all that well.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Hi,

Trying to follow the steps I have a problem.

Copy this layer. Create a new blank layer. Edit > Fill = 50% gray. On the layers palette, set the mode to
    Hard Mix, this gives us a black and white interpretation of the underlying clouds without the grays.

This step isn't creating any interpretation. I have the first cloud layer, the new layer with fill=50% and a copy of the initial layer, that if I blend to Hard Mix and I use the airbrush I create the land mass. But...

Any guide...

Salut,
    Josep M

Your problem is probably confusing 50% gray with 50% opacity. You want to use the true neutral gray (RGB of 128, 128, 128; hex code 808080). At the top of the screen hit the word "Edit" then scroll down to "Fill" - a window pops up and in the box next to "Use" scroll down to "50% Gray" and voila. Now on the layer palette change the blend mode to Hard Mix.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Yes, I was confused Thanks ... I has try again, but after moving to the next step and begin to see how my map take form into something acceptable, I lost myself into the ocean layers ...

I try again and post my questions

Hello, I try to mimic this tutorial in gimp. I've come to the "noise" and "aging" layer so far. Here is my problem: First I don't know where to put the noise layer. Above all? Beneath the land? And does someone know a noise filter in gimp that works like the add noise filter in photoshop?

Noise layer would have to go on top so as to not get covered up. As for the Gimp question, no idea, sorry.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I use Felimage it works very well. It's a plugin for GIMP.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast