Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Antique-style maps in Photoshop

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Noise layer would have to go on top so as to not get covered up. As for the Gimp question, no idea, sorry.
    I'm a little confused. At a later step you say that the noise layer should be moved beneath the land layer. Why is that?
    I didn't want to use plug-ins, but thanks for the adivce, will check it out ^^ In the meantime, I used a RGB Noise filter and set it on a low opacity to multiply.

Sorry for the double post, but I finished my first map! I made it completly in Gimp. If anyone is interested in a Gimp converted tutorial, I can post it, too, I think.
    I hope, the upload of the attachment was a success

It is not so nice as the photoshop outcome but close enough for my first try.
    Hope you like it ^^

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	herbstinseln.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	252.0 KB 
ID:	35397
    Last edited by Candacis; 04-26-2011 at 04:31 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks good, man. You can tone down the bright colors just by reducing opacity but otherwise, nice.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Dear Ascension, I got a tiny question for you.

"Grab a big airbrush, set the flow to 10%, and use black to fill in the ocean and white for the land. "

I use Photoshop CS5 and I can only find two Airbrushes:
    Airbrush 75 Tilt Size and Angle
    Airbrush Dual Brush Soft Round 45

Inexperience user here and I just wonder which of these two I should pick, or does this Tutorial work with both?

Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paper Map (Final, Adjusted Mileage).jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	971.0 KB 
ID:	38667

I wanted to thank you for this tutorial Ascension. I finally completed my rendition of Anub'Volthrak, the desert continent my first book is centered around. Hopefully I'll be published soon, it's with an editor! Anyway I wanted to know if you have any problem with me possibly using this image (via your tutorial) in my book.
    Last edited by LordNightwinter; 09-22-2011 at 02:59 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

No problem at all, man. It's your world so you own it - I just teach how to make it. For a book, though, they may want you to use black and white. Easy fix there, just delete the color layers.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Yeah I'm a pretty good hand at Photoshop so that won't be a problem.

It's a lovely tutorial and I really like some of the tricks, but those pencilly rivers ... wouldn't it help to put some anti-aliasing on them? You could just start out and make the map at, say, 600 dps instead (so, about double the dimensions, say 4000 x 4000 px) and then resize for web display. That way you wouldn't get the flat lines and all.

Guild Member Facebook Connected wisemoon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hey Ascension, any chance of putting this into a Word document or PDF? If you don't have the time I might be able to do it, but I have a lot of other projects in the queue right now (argh) so I was hoping you might have already planned to do it?

wisemoon
    This and all other posts, including image or document files created by me that are linked in a post, are copyright Megan L. Wiseman, in the current year. Permission to use granted under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License unless otherwise stated in the post.
    Please visit my blog - cartography, popular culture, and my art/design journal. Here are my finished maps!

@Wisemoon, don't know if you saw this or not, but Candacis translated Ascension's tutorial to GIMP in pdf format. Here's the link.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast