Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Antique-style maps in Photoshop

Thanks for the comment, Ascension ^^
    "tweaks and style" there is just me playing around with filters and blending modes - so I wouldn't call it style yet as I didn't even remember all the tweaks I did >.>

@Eagleyes: maybe blurring the mountains layer a bit would blend it more with the rest of the map; also branching the rivers could probably make them more interesting (Step 7 from the Tutorial, where it explicitly tells to "not forget to put in forks and branches" - here's a real-world example for some ideas); I hope you'll find the suggestions helpful ^^

I'll try making another map using this Tutorial in a few days and post it too, it's a great pleasure working with it

Hey Ascension, I decided to use your technique but was sort of confused by step 7. It said to use a hard square pencil, but I don't have hard square, is there another pencil type that would suffice?

Also just thought I'd include where I'm at now. I decided to use my own mountains (since I went on to start them since the rivers flumoxed me), and we'll see how it turns out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mapprospective copy.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	13020  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The hard squares are in the Preset folder, they don't come loaded straight out of the box but they're there if you need them. To load them them, use the preset manager, the brush menu is the default that pops up. On the right side you'll see a button for "load brushes" or "add" or something like that. This will pop open a window for you to go browsing so navigate to the Photoshop folder, then presets, then brushes, then load up those thingies. There should also be an additional folder in the brushes folder called "Photoshop Only" and there are more brushes in there.

If you don't want to do that or get lost trying, then use a hard round
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

well, here is my next mapping attempt (coming along with a question)

but first about the map:
    it's representing an all made-up world (all names included are generated with this here fantasy name generator

I'm not that happy with the final result (as much as with the previous one) but the time I spent working on it was very effective cause I was able to try lots of things ^^ this map has the wood effect rather than rings
    so I upload three versions: 1 clean, 1 printed on old paper (real texture, stretched) and one on "cloth" material (this one all made by me)

and here comes my question:
    Ascension, how did you get this contour effect between the different countries (pic 15 and onwards in the tutorial)? I don't think it's covered. And it didn't quite happen for me, if it's generated by the Inner Glow layer style (maybe I'm missing something) /btw I'll be trying your colored map tutorials next, so I'll most likely annoy you even more than this question does in the future .. hope you don't mind

Name:	Final_Clear.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	13084   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final_printed.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	3.19 MB 
ID:	13086   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New_Map+.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	4.34 MB 
ID:	13087  

Yep, it's just an inner glow, same color as the country but not as transparent. Maybe increase the size of your glow to make it more pronounced or change the blend mode to multiply...I dunno. Certainly don't mind answering questions, or trying to that is These look real nice, might not even need me anymore...how they grow up so fast
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

I really liked your clean map, the wood effect is a good alternative and I loved the aztec style borders!

thanks for your comments!
    actually the map was having rings at the start. I even tried to break their regularity and hard corners by editing the layers for each of the rings but while zoomed in I messed them up a lot at one moment... and decided to try the wood effect and can now say that I like it much more than the rings

attached here is a piece of the map with modified rings (not the messed up part, of course xD)

Name:	Rings.png 
Views:	177 
Size:	914.7 KB 
ID:	13134  

That looks real good. I can honestly say that you do it better.

Blog Entries

M-Boy I love your "Final printed" image that you posted, the one on old paper, really wonderful. If I had a single nitpick, it's that your grid lines have an outer glow to them that erases parts of the labels, although I guess you wanted this?
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast