Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Antique-style maps in Photoshop

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected AslanC's Avatar

Nope that didn't work either...

Okay maybe this is basic PS 101 and I am a dolt, but I may have made the pattern wrong (since it wasn't available in my presets).

I made an image 1wide x 6tall (300 dpi/8 bit)and alternated black and white then used the "Define Pattern" to save it.

Was that my mistake?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Nope, that's exactly what you do. Maybe Adobe changed the way that the filter works after my version (CS). Try a 12x1 pattern to get wider lines and see what happens.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

For my woodcut efftect, the pattern is 3 px high, 1 plack pixel, the rest transparent. I add a ripple effect of about 25% with the small setting. I like it being subtle, myself.

I'd post an example, but really you can look at any of the pieces I've done

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

I tried the 12x1 and no luck. It must be a change between CS and CS3 then

Coyotemax; How do you make that pattern again?

I made a new file with transparent background, sized 1 wide, 3 tall
    Zoom in to max, drop a dot in the top pixel (or one of the other 3, doesn't matter really).
    Select all, then define pattern (I called mine 1x3 woodcut)

It was easier than trying to work in an existing file and selecting the right bits

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Transparency WAS the issue!

Well I am glad we got that all worked out

Thanks lads
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	woodcuttest5.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	323.1 KB 
ID:	15311  

I made the original pattern in ps7 (for the first several maps) and recreated using the same process in cs4 (just yesterday). Seems to work the same in both.

My finished maps

Hey everyone. I'm new here, so bear with me. This type of map is exactly what I'm looking for in a new project I'm working on and I was hoping to translate this tut to GIMP. It seems some of you have had some success in this area and I was wondering if anyone has a GIMP specific tut for this map??? Maybe asking too much, but this is some great work and I would appreciate the help. Thanks!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod View Post
    Hey everyone. I'm new here, so bear with me. This type of map is exactly what I'm looking for in a new project I'm working on and I was hoping to translate this tut to GIMP. It seems some of you have had some success in this area and I was wondering if anyone has a GIMP specific tut for this map??? Maybe asking too much, but this is some great work and I would appreciate the help. Thanks!
    Welcome Aboard!

The majority of the techniques used should be able to be duplicated in GIMP, there are some that be problematic. However, I don't think anybody has actually tried to convert the tutorial (If I'm wrong they'll let us know )
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I figured this, but I thought it was worth a shot. I'm still experimenting and making some progress, however slight. Just thought I'd put myself out there and see what I get. Thanks for the input!

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast