Thread: Agnon WIP

Help Agnon WIP

Hey guys

I'm trying some new things with the coasts and such and figured I'd post a WIP to get critique before I fully committed to it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magna.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	95796

And what I'm lining over:

Name:	magna2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	156.4 KB 
ID:	95798

I'm mostly basis it off of this map:

Name:	aq18725a.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	4.72 MB 
ID:	95797
    Last edited by Stalker; 05-16-2017 at 04:41 PM.

Got a tad overly excited and decided to finish the line work

Name:	2Vrc22c.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	861.7 KB 
ID:	95811

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

Got it ! http://catalogue.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/cb40669206j
    Those "waving" coastlines (I don't know how to name this) are pleasant and unusual, carry on !

Thank you!

This looks like a great start, Stalker! I like the landshapes a lot. Looking forward to see where you will take this map.

Care to tell us a bit about the setting itself? Will it be medieval? Even older era? Or much more recent? The worldbuilder in me wants to know
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    This looks like a great start, Stalker! I like the landshapes a lot. Looking forward to see where you will take this map.

Care to tell us a bit about the setting itself? Will it be medieval? Even older era? Or much more recent? The worldbuilder in me wants to know
    Thank you!

I'm thinking late medieval, with most of the social trappings of later eras but technology just hitting gunpowder. The first cannons are being used, but in the main kingdom (of which I'm still trying to decide a name, WIP name is 'France' :p), a senate has been assembled by the nobility who basically run the kingdom due to the dying king. The senate has become huge however, and went from a smaller council of a dozen to hundreds of nobles, merchants, notable peasants, the Magi Guild, and dozens of other groups clamoring for representation it what has effectively turned into a government.

The setting involves the king dying and the heads of the two largest noble families, who have split the senate into two factions, being assassinated at the same time on the senate floor. The country quickly collapses into anarchy afterwards, with a civil war, rampaging necromancers, invading nations, peasants demanding liberty, equality, fraternity, the various parts of the army, etc. etc. Not really sure how I'll show that on a map though, haha.

Here's another map with some borders. Not sure if I like it yet, since I'm trying new things here. We'll see as I continue working on it later this week.

Name:	6b1lscU.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	622.8 KB 
ID:	95877

Praise

Wow, Stalker! That map is great, I love the coastlines and the little ripple texture around them on the water. Also, the story sounds really interesting!

Really looking good.

Thanks again for the kind words!

As always, I think I got a bit out of hand when I made the map the size it is. I wanted to make a regional map for a change, once again ended up as, nearly, a continental :/

The blue country is supposed to be around the size of France, but the way I draw things tends to make it look much larger than they're supposed to be. Thinking of something I can do with it now besides terrain features (which I hate doing) but drawing blanks.

Also in order to get a nice curved grid I had to make an even larger map that put the current one to scale and I upscaled and drew on such a large canvas that it actually bombed my memory and crashed my PC. So that was fun.