Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Village of DunHaven (WIP)

Wip The Village of DunHaven (WIP)

I had hoped to get my internet turned on in time to finish this for the Aug/Sept Lite Mapping Challenge, but I missed it by a week. For this one I was doing something a little different. I've never made a modern map before. This is the hamlet of Dunhaven, CT, an otherwise sleepy and unassuming town with an unknown secret... a long dormant cairn waiting to be rediscovered.

This is the setting for a WereWolf Apocolypse campaign my friend asked me to run. I've started making some of the maps of towns, cities, and places the players may come across. This is one of them. Obviously, it's not finished... but here is what I have so far.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DunHaven.05.JPG 
Views:	196 
Size:	249.9 KB 
ID:	99489
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

It makes a refreshing change to see a map of a modern day setting

Well mapped, Storm. I particularly like the composition of this one - as if its a real village snapped from a helicopter

thanks, but right now, I'm having an issue with it... two of my structures don't have shadows, and I can't figure out why. I've checked and rechecked, and they should have directional shadows like the others... I'm missing something, and I can't figure out what it is.
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

They are the same symbol, aren't they.

Hmmm....

Knowing how experienced you are with CC3 sheets and layers and hiding/unhiding things, I will assume you have already checked all those kinds of things.

Have you tried using one of the other buildings instead of that particular symbol? Its just that its a bit too much of a coincidence that the only two buildings affected just happen to be exactly the same symbol - especially since the others are working fine.

I loaded my fcw on the profantasy forums, and Remy found the problem straight away... I can't believe I didn't see it, but apparently cc3 recreated the symbols sheet and added those two to the symbols sheet, instead of my structures sheet. I keep forgetting that I have to uncheck 'auto place symbols on sheets' box. I just missed the fact that I once again had a symbols sheet. It's fixed now.
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I think that's a little glitch ? in the meantime, I find the map very successful, especially at the level of this wave, imposing, that breaks on the beach!

Thanks! That's actually a technique I learned from Mouse.... she uses this technique on her water falls. I realized her technique could be used in many different ways for different things. In fact, the ocean itself, is an adaptation of another technique I learned from one of the other profantasy users, Shessar, and again, I tweaked it for what I needed.

That seems to be my thing... using other's ideas in new ways... but hey, it works
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

It works very well !

And I just keep having new ideas as a result of the things you just happen to say - so its a bit like perpetual motion

I love the way we bounce things off one another. I've missed you over the last few months!

As for Remy - he's an outstanding fellow - a good egg (as we say in the UK)

Well, it may not look like I've done much work on this, but I've actually have completed quite a bit. I decided that, even though the roads in this village are dirt roads, there should be some sort of 'curb' to separate the roads from yards, and to also created 'parking lots' for the few businesses in town. But since these roads aren't paved, you can't go with a normal curb... so the residents of Dunhaven pooled their resources, and had rocks brought in from a neighboring quarry, which they then edged the roads with.

It took several days to finish this one portion of the map, because every one of these rocks had to be placed, by hand! This is taking Shessar's riverbed idea to the extreme!!!

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DunHaven.07.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	426.2 KB 
ID:	99638

I like the look of it, though....
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...