Thread: Edrania, My First Map (Feedback Appreciated!)

Wip Edrania, My First Map (Feedback Appreciated!)

Hello, everyone! I'm quite a new member to the guild, and debuted this map a few months ago but haven't been able to work on it till recently. I've been very excited to work on it again and flex my coloring skills.
    If you are kind enough to leave feedback, I'd love to know if the map's features feel "to scale"; i.e, that there's the correct level of detail in the coastlines, the mountain ranges aren't gigantic, etc. The area from the compass rose to the right edge should be about as big as the United States. I'm just terrible at conceptualizing size in my head, so any feedback on that would be a big help.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Edrania First Lineart.png 
Views:	171 
Size:	3.36 MB 
ID:	96233
    I've got the lineart almost done, just need to finish the compass rose and any other small details before moving on the coloring (gulp!)
    Last edited by Lori Vivé the Bardbuckler; 06-02-2017 at 01:18 PM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

First of all, I love your screen name!

Secondly, I really like this map - it has a very cartoony feel which I think works well. The land shapes are appealing, and I really like the layout of that mountain range in the northeast, with the forests and rivers feeding through it. Looks cool.

I second that, although I would be tempted to reduce the size of that drop shadow on the forests just a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    First of all, I love your screen name!

Secondly, I really like this map - it has a very cartoony feel which I think works well. The land shapes are appealing, and I really like the layout of that mountain range in the northeast, with the forests and rivers feeding through it. Looks cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I second that, although I would be tempted to reduce the size of that drop shadow on the forests just a bit
    Thank you guys! It's fascinating to me that it feels cartoony to you, Diamond– I wonder what exactly makes it feel that way. And good idea for the drop shadows; I think I'll experiment with those tonight.

I think it's definitely the lines, gives it a more casual cartoony feel.