Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Central Alemnia REDUX

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Default Central Alemnia REDUX

A couple of years ago, I made this one map that some people in the Guild thought was pretty neat. A few people thought it was so neat, in fact, that it deserved some special praise. And so the map was awarded the Cartographer’s Choice award, and that sure was pretty cool, and stuff.
    Well, recently I’ve gone back and reviewed the map, and as any great artist is want to do, I was immediately struck with a terrible sense of disappointment with just how lackluster the finished product was. Right away I noticed a bunch of mistakes and poor design decisions. And my next thought was, I should try to remedy that.

So here is a reworked version. It's not a completely different map, of course, but I do feel the additions and changes merit a post on the forum. The biggest differences are a re-texturing, replacing the somewhat pointless legend with an island that seems to have recently risen from the very ocean, an updating of the labels... also a whole slew of little changes.

Anyway, hope you like this new version just a bit more than the original.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	x.jpg 
Views:	1179 
Size:	4.27 MB 
ID:	91292

The original version is found here.

EDIT: And of course immediately after posting the redux version, I go back and make several more minor adjustments, so the old new version is now replaced by a new new final (eh, probably not final) version. Fun times.
    Last edited by Daelin; 04-04-2017 at 09:23 PM.

I've always loved this map, and it has influenced my personal cartographic style. Nice job.
    Webmaster and head designer of The World of Farland: A World conquered by evil and ruled by the Lords of Sin.

www.farlandworld.com

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Comparing the two cards, you understand why you wanted to do it again! It is true that the textures are much better in the new, it makes a much more authentic air to the card, less artificial. I really like !

Great improvements Daelin. I always found the original inspiring and it's nice to see it improved even more!

-Dan

Very nice improvements, indeed.

Thanks guys, nice words! And so, since the original map won the Cartographer's Choice award, and since this most definitely is an improvement over that one, I should say a new award for this updated map is in order, no? I mean, that's pretty much a given, right? Yeah. Uh-hmm. Yep.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1Gagpi2.gif 
Views:	63 
Size:	494.6 KB 
ID:	90787

The original has been one of my all-time favorite maps, it was one of the first pieces I added to my Inspiration folder (which now holds over 100 maps) three years ago when I first got interested in cartography.

And now it looks even better than it did before! The texture is indeed a huge improvement, and the updated labels work very well. I also love the additions to the rhumblines. One of my favorite maps - now even more than ever!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelleri View Post
    One of my favorite maps - now even more than ever!
    Thanks for the compliment, dude.

Guild Apprentice

Praise

I found the original to be quite astonishing - and this manages to exceed that first "wow"-feeling I got.
    You sir, are a scholar and a gentleman.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast