Thread: Treasure map for D&D

Wip Treasure map for D&D

Working on a treasure map for my DND campaign. I need advice on how to make this look better, I think the coloring could be improved.

Also, how can I represent the large mountain in the center better? Any help is appreciated!

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Island.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	636.6 KB 
ID:	96441

Cool map. Like the border, textbar and color palette.

Regarding the mountain I will try to be pedagogical:
    -If the mountains outline would turn and bend as frequently as the coastline then it would look more realistic. Now its shape is fitting that of a small hill.
    -Just as you made the coastline with bays and islands the mountains have also valleys and isolated hills & clusters of hills around it. Not surprising since another way of seeing dry land is that all land are tall "mountains" that peak over the sea level.

-Try to copy the entire landmass with its outline and reduce its size and flip it over horizontally and/or vertically and use this shape as your new mountain.
    Last edited by AdventureDepot; 06-14-2017 at 07:14 AM.
    Open for commissions
    Etsy

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Discuss

Nice start. It has a nice cartoony feel to it.

I have some nice brushes that fit with that style. What program are you using?

Maybe draw a line around where the top edge of the mountain will be. If you don't know what I mean, be sure to ask
    For real world inspiration check out Brandberg Namibia. http://myscienceacademy.org/wp-conte...lite-image.jpg It might help with inspiration.

EDIT:
    Take this post as me brainstorming alongside you. I want you to succeed in this thing.
    I thought I'd make a quick drawn sketch of the mountain. Hope this helps in some way.

Name:	DrawnMountain.jpeg 
Views:	19 
Size:	140.8 KB 
ID:	96542

EDIT2:
    This gives an idea of a multiply effect.
    The first I just used a texture BOTTOM layer, the drawing MIDDLE layer, blending mode to Multiply. Duplicated the middle layer and set BRIGHTNESS to quite low and Contrast to higher and opacity to 50%. or the top layer can be the drawing in colour burn blending mode(though that is for Photoshop, so I don't know how it works apart from reading about it. )

Name:	Brown Mountain.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	481.7 KB 
ID:	96687

The second is almost the same, I just erased the sides.

Name:	Simpletest_BrownMountain.png 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	96686

Do with it what you will. And good luck.
    Last edited by XCali; 06-19-2017 at 08:10 AM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    Nice start. It has a nice cartoony feel to it.

I have some nice brushes that fit with that style. What program are you using?

Maybe draw a line around where the top edge of the mountain will be. If you don't know what I mean, be sure to ask
    For real world inspiration check out Brandberg Namibia. http://myscienceacademy.org/wp-conte...lite-image.jpg It might help with inspiration.

EDIT:
    Take this post as me brainstorming alongside you. I want you to succeed in this thing.
    I thought I'd make a quick drawn sketch of the mountain. Hope this helps in some way.
    I'm using Photoshop to make this. I was really trying to get the feel like you have in the attachment but didn't have any brushes/know how to get the lines to radiate from the outline. I made the below as a second attempt at this but don't think the style quite fits as well as getting the drawing you made.

See below for a different feel. I think it might be too realistic and doesn't have the hand drawn feel.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Island2.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	633.5 KB 
ID:	96656

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Sarin View Post
    I'm using Photoshop to make this. I was really trying to get the feel like you have in the attachment but didn't have any brushes/know how to get the lines to radiate from the outline. I made the below as a second attempt at this but don't think the style quite fits as well as getting the drawing you made.

See below for a different feel. I think it might be too realistic and doesn't have the hand drawn feel.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	55 
Size:	633.5 KB 
ID:	96656
    Hmmm, yeah I agree, the first one is better in that regard.

Okay so try this,

Take the picture I drew and copy it in its own layer above the land, then set the layer mode to multiply. It would remove all the white. Then you have the outline of the mountain. Just merge the Multiply layer down then and you can start colouring the thing.

My web novels
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~ Psalm 19

Discuss

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Sarin View Post

Hmmm, yeah I agree, the first one is better in that regard.

Okay so try this,

Take the pencil sketch I drew and copy it in its own layer above the land, then set the layer mode to multiply. It would remove all the white. Then you have the outline of the mountain. Just merge the Multiply layer down then and you can start colouring the thing.

EDIT:
    (Just for interest sake, these are the type of brushes I would use for creating that chalk and rough texture on mountains and cliffs. (All are free brushes found on the internet. And SELDOM do I use them at full opacity. I normally put the opacity waaaaay low and slowly draw in the ridges. I think the one is Adonih's brush set. And the other is a chalk brush set.

Name:	brushes that are nice for cliffs and ridges.jpeg 
Views:	27 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	96661 )
    Last edited by XCali; 06-18-2017 at 01:19 PM.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Alright, First I want to say a HUGE thank you to XCali. I think I am getting pretty happy with this (and just in time too, my adventurers are about ready to find this map!) Latest below.

Views:	136 
Size:	656.0 KB 
ID:	97130

Nice job! I really like the texture effects you gave the mountain.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Post Something that might be useful

Hi!

I was thinking.

I have this icon set that I created that is just sitting around at the moment, and it is in line with what you have. So naturally, IF you want, you are more than welcome to use them on your map(or not, depends on you ).

I use a different program (GIMP) so I exported the icons into one .PNG file that is more universal.

Name:	Icon_set_byXcali_akaOmri.png 
Size:	130.5 KB 
ID:	97227
    For use, just copy and paste the icons.

Have fun with your adventures. And be sure to tell me if you need something else.

EDIT: I just re-read your first post, and noticed the question about coloring. I'll consider it further before giving an in depth answer. But, for now, I can give you a tip on making the coastline more immersive, if you would like to do so.

Okay so here is the tip, it's NOT a must. It is just something you can try out if you will and see what happens.

I started playing around with a technique and has been quite useful so far: If you can SELECT your landmass as one if it is on its own layer.(Alpha to Selection on GIMP, not sure what it is on PS.) Then it makes this next step a tad easier, but not impossible to do without.

--Okay land selected(Optional, but recommended) this helps curb any bleed over effect into the sea.
    --Create a layer JUST above your land, so you can remove the effect if you want, or merge it down when you are happy. (Also optional but recommended)
    --THEN use a cloud like brush, (read random brush, like the 3d one from the left I showed you in a previous post.)
    -- SET it to LOW opacity with BLACK or maybe a DARK brown.
    --Then gently start touching the LAND on the coastline ALL the way around.
    --Where you want it to look more cliffs at the sea, touch the brush more there. Because the darker the effect the more like cliffs it looks. (Highlights promotes protrusions and shading promotes a drop down effect.)

--(optional) remember to stroke selection the land selection after this whole process if you want to keep your line around your coast(like it is already.) (TIP: it is nice to do that on a layer of its own too, then you can lower opacity to choose the darkness of that line.)

And that is it really. It doesn't take long, so it is fun thing to try. If you have any questions, be sure to ask.

SECOND EDIT: Sorry! I just realized something. Regarding your rivers, if you look at what happens in nature, then water NATURALLY flow to the lowest point. So, in effect, aside from deltas, marshes and wide waterfalls with rock outcroppings splitting it, rivers don't really branch away. Instead branches of rivers come together and flow to the lowest point, lakes and the ocean.
    It's just an interesting tidbit that if you want you can consider.
    Last edited by XCali; 07-04-2017 at 03:19 PM.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19