Thread: Treasure map for D&D

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Post Something that might be useful

Hi!

I was thinking.

I have this icon set that I created that is just sitting around at the moment, and it is in line with what you have. So naturally, IF you want, you are more than welcome to use them on your map(or not, depends on you ).

I use a different program (GIMP) so I exported the icons into one .PNG file that is more universal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Icon_set_byXcali_akaOmri.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	130.5 KB 
ID:	97227
    For use, just copy and paste the icons.

Have fun with your adventures. And be sure to tell me if you need something else.

EDIT: I just re-read your first post, and noticed the question about coloring. I'll consider it further before giving an in depth answer. But, for now, I can give you a tip on making the coastline more immersive, if you would like to do so.

Okay so here is the tip, it's NOT a must. It is just something you can try out if you will and see what happens.

I started playing around with a technique and has been quite useful so far: If you can SELECT your landmass as one if it is on its own layer.(Alpha to Selection on GIMP, not sure what it is on PS.) Then it makes this next step a tad easier, but not impossible to do without.

--Okay land selected(Optional, but recommended) this helps curb any bleed over effect into the sea.
    --Create a layer JUST above your land, so you can remove the effect if you want, or merge it down when you are happy. (Also optional but recommended)
    --THEN use a cloud like brush, (read random brush, like the 3d one from the left I showed you in a previous post.)
    -- SET it to LOW opacity with BLACK or maybe a DARK brown.
    --Then gently start touching the LAND on the coastline ALL the way around.
    --Where you want it to look more cliffs at the sea, touch the brush more there. Because the darker the effect the more like cliffs it looks. (Highlights promotes protrusions and shading promotes a drop down effect.)

--(optional) remember to stroke selection the land selection after this whole process if you want to keep your line around your coast(like it is already.) (TIP: it is nice to do that on a layer of its own too, then you can lower opacity to choose the darkness of that line.)

And that is it really. It doesn't take long, so it is fun thing to try. If you have any questions, be sure to ask.

SECOND EDIT: Sorry! I just realized something. Regarding your rivers, if you look at what happens in nature, then water NATURALLY flow to the lowest point. So, in effect, aside from deltas, marshes and wide waterfalls with rock outcroppings splitting it, rivers don't really branch away. Instead branches of rivers come together and flow to the lowest point, lakes and the ocean.
    It's just an interesting tidbit that if you want you can consider.
    Last edited by XCali; 07-04-2017 at 03:19 PM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19