Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: How to get your rivers in the right place

Blog Entries

Yes I believe your right there. Its here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casiquiare_canal

It seems that its on the line of the catchment area between the two rivers and it seems to link to both but it notes in the wiki entry that its mainly from flooding. So it certainly is one of a very small number of natural channels that link two rivers which flow to the oceans at two different places. I suspect tho that given this area is pretty flat then geologically speaking after a short amount of time erosion will channel this water to just one of them. But for now this would indeed be an exception to a general rule. Water cannot gain energy however so at all times this water is flowing downhill but it seems that the lower level of what is considered down oscillates between these two main rivers based on rainfall and flooding.

Good post tho - thanks !

Rivers joining up are not uncommon and a river may bifurcate extensively near to a point of mass drainage like the ocean or a big lake which is a delta. So the Mesopotamian marshes are not so uncommon and not as much of a rule breaker on these "river violations". Again, this is due to sediment carry and flooding oscillating what is the lower level on a fairly flat plane. Am I right in saying that it was thought that the city of Alexandria was built on a plane next to these (or other rivers like these - Nile perhaps ?) and that on a particularly flooded time and with some kind of earthquake then the ground became liquid and the city sunk into it. A river delta is a constantly changing place where I would argue that at a single point in time the river rules apply but over a short time span they change so fast that it appears to violate them.

Considering how many cities Alexander founded and named after himself, I would be very surprised if one of them wasn't in the Tigris-Euphrates floodplain. And it also doesn't surprise me that it might have sunk into a marsh; Alexander wasn't the Greatest city planner.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

This is (as you probably know) very informative. Thank you for the info!

Would anyone be interested in a tutorial on the morphology of rivers on a macro scale, all related to worldbuilding? Rivertypes (Meander, braided, sinuosity, shape, gradient), types of delta's and coastal features? I would not mind gathering all the information from this topic and putting it into a single .PDF file, it's all kinda scattered right now.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected anstett's Avatar

I think that lots of people would be interested in such a resource.

A simple one page "do's and don't's " and then additional detail for those that want it would be a great way for beginning mappers or world creators to learn some good info.

BOB
    We do not stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing.

www.dragonslayers-society.org

http://www.mediafire.com/?e6t9adhdarhocme

Here you go, I'll add all the other things posted in this topic later.

I'd love to see the document, but I'm not much in the mood to install things from third party sites. Any chance that it could be directly uploaded here, instead?

I already downloaded it (i am not really the cautious type, heehe ""XD) and it is a really useful document. Like this thread itself. I hope it is not a problem if i upload it here for you, Kafei. It will be just much faster for the others. Here ya guys go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails River morphology.pdf  

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Oh thats realy great, thanks for the afford (+Rep)

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

this seems quite handy!

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast