Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
I don't know if this has come up yet. But I was wondering about River bifurcation, where a river does split sometimes?

The statement that rivers never split(Aside from deltas) has bothered me for some time. So, I was thinking what happens when a lot of fast moving water hit a rock and is forced to split? And then I looked it up and came across River bifurcation, which is an actualy term for these kind of events happening.

A good example is the 'North two ocean creek' at the parting of waters part. This is a fascinating river. That water ends up in two separate oceans!

So it is not never, deltas happen and in certain cases higher up splits do really happen. So, in how one should use it? The general is then, that rivers don't split MOST of the time, but there are exceptions.
That statement about rivers never splitting isn't true. It can't be for the phrase 'river bifurcation' to exist

This is a link that Redrobes gave us a few comments ago.

And this is another one - again from Redrobes

The fact of the matter is that it is so incredibly rare that to use it all the time would be as misleading as continually drawing maps showing pink lakes (there's one in Australia that is occasionally pink).