Thread: Terran Explored. I did the whole continent...

Wip Terran Explored. I did the whole continent...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Atlas-base-07.PNG 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	96510

I've been running my campaign for D&D as suggested by many sources; start small and build as needed. But after a few sessions the questions started. Where Am I from, Who's the King ? Why are we here etc. Starting small means you don't have those answers.

So I made a world map (in sections) and even though the players may never see it , I can start populating the world and build kingdoms and create legends.

https://hubpages.com/games-hobbies/C...uilding-Part-1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13567166_f520.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	96509  
    Last edited by Frost Birch; 06-13-2017 at 09:10 PM. Reason: better picture

Hi Frost Birch

Its a little bit on the small side, so I can't really say very much, but at this distance out it looks pretty good. Any chance of a larger copy to study?

Name:	Atlas-base-08.PNG 
Views:	39 
Size:	6.05 MB 
ID:	96511 The original is over 15.1 MB so I had to reduce it somewhat....### Latest WIP ###
    Last edited by Frost Birch; 06-14-2017 at 07:55 AM.

Well you've certainly made a good start on the map, and have a pretty good idea of where everything is going. Is the space on the right for a legend of place names, or a key of some kind?

I would love to see a scale bar, perhaps at the bottom - to give some idea of how big this continent is.

What software are you using?

I like to see where this is going : )

Show a map of the kingdoms once they are done
    Open for commissions
    Etsy

I use GIMP 2.8

Yes , The legend is going to the right until I come up with a new land mass for the players but that is another New World senario.

The scale is troubling me. I'm not good at scales. My last series of maps had my towns 50 miles across with 1 mile buildings. That was funny when I figured that one out. I need to work on scale more.
    Last edited by Frost Birch; 06-17-2017 at 11:39 AM.

A scale would certainly make it a lot easier to work out how far your players are having to travel between points of interest

I mainly use Campaign Cartographer 3 Plus, but I also use GIMP as well - using them both together to make hybrid maps at the moment, but I'm only a novice with GIMP just yet, having only just figured out layer masks and paths

Maybe it would help to work out how big your planet is (Earth is 40,000 km in circumference, and many fantasy worlds are smaller than that), and then think about how much of the planet's surface this continent covers - how far it extends north to south, and east to west, then roughly work out from that how long and wide it is. That should give you at least an approximate scale to work with.

Name:	Atlas-base10.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	2.81 MB 
ID:	96599### Latest WIP ###

Okay this map is getting way to large to post as a png so I changed it to jpg. I hope the quality doesn't suffer for it.