Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Classic fantasy mapmaking request - continent, provinces and cities

Still, i think it may be tough for some of us to take it. The problem is that you also need a copyright. Just this makes the price jump up very high. The cities map are also very time consuming. Unless you are really fine with a simple B&W map, i dont think you can hire anyone.

Still, as damonjynx said. There are some people here, who are hobbyist, and willing to help even for free, but i guess it will be hard to find some for so many maps.

It would also help if you attach a reference image showing in what style you want your maps.

Cheers
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    The problem is that you also need a copyright. Just this makes the price jump up very high.
    Okay. Is that because I may be making money from them in the future? Is there a way to get around this? So that IF I make products that will make money, THEN I will pay more? And no, I am not looking for a freebee, just looking for spending the initial budget I have as efficiently as possible.

It would also help if you attach a reference image showing in what style you want your maps.
    Will get back on that one...

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_DM View Post
    Okay. Is that because I may be making money from them in the future? Is there a way to get around this? So that IF I make products that will make money, THEN I will pay more? And no, I am not looking for a freebee, just looking for spending the initial budget I have as efficiently as possible.
    To get around this, you can request those maps and pay just for them, but the copyright stays with the artist. That means you can use them just for personal purposes (like display poster map on your wall, or use map for a game with friends). If you want to upload map somewhere for public, make changes, distribute, reproduce, then you will need to license it - which is most common i guess. You can ask for a license to put this map in a particular book which you sell later, but that is about it. If you would like later to promote something using this map, make any changes, basicly anything more than using it in mentioned book, you either need to pay to licence more rights or ultimately buy a full copyright, which means that creator can not do anything with the art anymore. All the rights are transferred to you, you can do with it what you like. This is the most expensive.

So with your current budget, you can ask to make those maps for you without any licensing. You will have to keep them in the closet untill you are ready to pay more either to licence the work for specific purpose, or buy full copyright. This depends on the creator-customer negotiations. There are people who dont want to sell all rights at all.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

You could add an option to acquire the copyright at a later point (at a certain prize) in the initial agreement. This way you have certainty on how much the prize is going to be, if you want to get further rights at a later point. However, this option would not come for free as well, but it would cost a fraction of the copyright itself and it secures you the opportunity to buy the copyright at a agreeable prize.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12