Thread: City of Newar

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected kosmic dungeon's Avatar

Thank you ChickPea.
    a blog with a few oldschool pen on paper map
    Blog : https://kosmicdungeon.com/

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected kosmic dungeon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sleeping_Dragon View Post
    The map is excellent and inspiring

What is interesting is the housing layout: intentionally chaotic it denotes no single culture or society, would see constant strife but lacks any actual open markets and I assume therefore all trade is down by the docks?
    What is missing perhaps is the warehouse, 'tentings' and covered market complex by dockside for such trade
    What is the impact on households of having no streets in c50% of the town? How does this change social interaction all day not just at night? It is a very unusual housing configuration and suggestive of every house being built individually, no land ownership, and doubtless a wide variety of architectural style. The citadel and temple is impressively dominant
    I think overall I would declutter the housing configuration to the north and create some sort of more streeted housing just simply because houses rarely are built individually and at every angle not least as when that close they share foundations and footings etc. People in such an anarchic town will want their own delineated space so sitting alongside or opposite in curved rows as you have elsewhere, but higgledy-piggledy creates a range of social dilemma that a powerful Temple would clamp down on perhaps?
    I wondered if the large buildings N N E were your warehouses and covered markets and if so they possibly need to be closer to your three quaysides?
    Mine are very minor comments and please feel free to ignore, its just I was trying to understand they type of society that might develop the housing configuration you have and why would they build in such a way (unless topography forces them to?)
    Finally, it looks as if the whole social structure is based on affordability of housing ie there are no camps, caravanades or tentings visible for those who cannot afford housing. Is this a merchant class town without beggars etc that often congregate around ports or has there been a temple clean up of the streets?

The Sleeping Dragon

I imagined a lot a merchants who lives in their small shops. Everyday, they set their stalls up in the street to sell their products.
    Indeed, the bulk of the merchandise arrives by the docks; and i'm agree with you, I've maybe drawn the big warehouse too far from the docks but we could easly fix this. The security of the port is drastic, all the stuff are unloaded then controlled to avoid smuggling. Many chariots transport all of these to the warehouses.

For the missing buildings, You just have to choose one and say it is a covered market...
    Regarding the 'tentings', small stalls, and beggars' housing, I have to say that they're too small to draw. This map was drawn in the oldscholl way. Pen on paper on a A4 sheet.

Have you ever seen an old small french village ? Few main street and many tiny alleys covered by arcades. For me all buildings have a "street".

Anyway thanks for your comment, I'll keep it in my mind for the next ones.
    a blog with a few oldschool pen on paper map
    Blog : https://kosmicdungeon.com/

Guild Applicant Guild Supporter

Default Great Coast Line City

Hey Kosmic,

Stumbled across your map searching through the hand-drawns and this is some really great work. I do really enjoy the detail in the compass as mentioned. I've been gearing up to create a coastal city and I draw my maps as well. The lore you've added really got me thinking and even some of the comments. So just wanted to say great work and thank you for being apart of this community!

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

The compass is indeed a nice touch.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12