Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: You fail urban planning forever

I agree, Mouse. Number grid street naming can be convenient but it lacks charm. Granted though, my home town is Boston, MA where chaos reigns. And now I live in a place where some roads are named different things depending on which direction you're going (e.g. if you're in Portland and want to to Gorham there's a "Gorham Road," but if you're in Gorham already and want to go back then you use the same road that's now labelled "Portland Road." It makes a beautiful kind of sense imo.)
    Last edited by Pananacakes; 06-23-2017 at 01:06 AM.

In Israel here none of the streets anywhere are straight, and the names of a single street can change depending how long a far you are upon it. For instance a major street in Jerusalem called Keren hayesod (for part of its length) changes names four or five times depending on how you count, all within a kilometer or two. Add in one-ways streets, or streets with only one end, and whatever else, and it becomes a real maze. Thankfully I never remember street names anyways, just follow the map in my head. Or use Waze if heading to unknown parts.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    If it isn't a joke, and it isn't a mistake... am I the only one who finds this ultra logical system disturbing?

Its the sort of system a robot might invent.
    No an AI wouldn't be so irrationally terrified of numbers as to try to disguise them this way by dividing by 3 and then indicating the steps of 1/3 by different suffixes in order to make the numbers seem smaller and less scary.

In the UK, and as far as I know - since I haven't done any travelling for a few years, we only have street names, not numbers. Even when certain councils seem determined to have all their city street names relate to a single theme it seems somehow so much more human than numbers.

Names being a much shorter list than numbers, there are identical names of course, but never in the same town. I remember living in 3 separate 'Queen Street' addresses in my time as a student - Victorian houses all of them

In the UK we stick to street names with no real logical system to 'work out' where things are. You just look it up on a map, such as an AtoZ, or use a postcode to find it online or in Sat Nav. This allows us to have delightfully quaint addresses to reside in, such as:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.77...2!8i6656?hl=en
    or
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.76...2!8i6656?hl=en

Plus many others that would probably be pushing the boundaries a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    In the UK we stick to street names with no real logical system to 'work out' where things are. You just look it up on a map, such as an AtoZ, or use a postcode to find it online or in Sat Nav. This allows us to have delightfully quaint addresses to reside in, such as:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.77...2!8i6656?hl=en
    or
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.76...2!8i6656?hl=en

Plus many others that would probably be pushing the boundaries a bit
    They both look quite pleasant however. And of course one would be endlessly amused by writing their own address.

Guild Applicant

That is pretty bad! We have a fun one in Dallas where it goes
    If you're headed south on Dallas North Tollway, Exit onto Loop 12 heading east on Northwest Highway until you turn right, staying on Loop 12 to head southbound on North Buckner ... yeah its not the best lol

Default Morpeth ALLEN

Hate to deliver pizza there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by static View Post
    Hate to deliver pizza there.
    Well, if it was in that area, you'd at least be in roughly the right area when you called the customer to clarify (assuming the phone number is right and the customer hasn't fallen asleep, and there's cell coverage, etc) What's a pain is when you end up in completely the wrong area all together. Dispatch misheard 60th as 16th, or the house numbers jump or change direction on a long road, or dispatch took an order for a similar sounding road name in a different city.

Guild Journeyer

IT might lack character and charm, but us engineers like numbered systems Make it easy for my pizza to get delivered to me *G*

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast