Thread: Two different town maps

Default Two different town maps

After having shown you my two regional maps from my D&D game I present you with two town maps.

Stormcliff:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stormcliff_web.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	950.0 KB 
ID:	96713

The linework was hand drawn on paper and then scanned. The shading and colouring was done using Gimp.
    Overall, I am quite happy how it turned out. Building number 2 is supposed to be building in the form of a wave, as it is the temple of the god of the sea. Most people I've shown it to so far have said it looks like clam shell, which is not to bad I guess, since it is still sea related

Littlebrook:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Littlebrook_web.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	764.5 KB 
ID:	96714

Littlebrook is a small village a day's travel away from Stormcliff, and lies within a very hilly region. For this map I followed this tutorial from Fantastic Maps as close as possible. The entire map was done digitally using Gimp. No linework on paper first this time round.
    Again, I'm quite happy with the result. I could maybe add one or two points of interest outside of the town, as the map might look a little empty otherwise.

Anyways, that's it for the maps I've done so far. Now it's on to new mapping ventures

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Both are clean, aesthetically pleasing maps. Have some rep!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Discuss

I really dig your Stormcliff map. It is easy to read. There is nice variation too and quite look like a fun village to visit. Your shading is done cleanly and makes it pop nicely. And good job with the waterfall and jetties(both are not easy to get right. So well done. )

What font did you use and at what size? It reads great.
    Also what texture did you use for your cobblestones? That is quite a nice one.

Littlebrook came out well too. But, I do prefer the Stormcliff one, if I have to choose. That's only one opinion.
    Last edited by XCali; 06-20-2017 at 05:36 AM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Two nice maps ! You've done a good job !

Nice job! Those are two great maps.
    The layout for stormcliff is really really neat, I love the cliffs, and the bridges and the waterfall.
    The buildings are great and I love that town square too.
    I think you could try to make the cliff on the left grey, instead of green. That way it just looks a bit more like a cliff.
    Littlebrook is also wonderful. The style reminds me of Mike Schley's maps.
    I like the path going up to the watchtower on the very top of the hill.
    Maybe you could tone the saturation down on Stormcliff, I think it might improve it a tiny bit.

Excellent work!
    Last edited by Josiah VE; 06-20-2017 at 09:42 AM.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Discuss

Wow thanks, I'm glad you like the maps

I really dig your Stormcliff map. It is easy to read. There is nice variation too and quite look like a fun village to visit. Your shading is done cleanly and makes it pop nicely. And good job with the waterfall and jetties(both are not easy to get right. So well done. )

What font did you use and at what size? It reads great.
    Also what texture did you use for your cobblestones? That is quite a nice one.

Littlebrook came out well too. But, I do prefer the Stormcliff one, if I have to choose. That's only one opinion.
    The font I used is Palatino Linotype. I do like it quite a bit because it is so readable. The text on the right is at size 200, and the one on the left at 100 (keeping in mind that the original picture I worked on is 6995x4960)
    The cobblestones are not a fixed texture. I coloured the area gray, and then went over it on another layer with a darker gray using the Cell 02 Brush in GIMP and setting the layer opacity to 50.

I'm glad you prefer the Stormcliff map, that one took me a lot longer

Nice job! Those are two great maps.
    The layout for stormcliff is really really neat, I love the cliffs, and the bridges and the waterfall.
    The buildings are great and I love that town square too.
    I think you could try to make the cliff on the left grey, instead of green. That way it just looks a bit more like a cliff.
    Littlebrook is also wonderful. The style reminds me of Mike Schley's maps.
    I like the path going up to the watchtower on the very top of the hill.
    Maybe you could tone the saturation down on Stormcliff, I think it might improve it a tiny bit.

Excellent work!
    The cliff on the left is supposed to indicate an incline up a hill, rather than a steep cliff. I was hoping keeping the green, indicating the incline is covered in grass, would help convey that it is a hill rather than a cliff. But I guess I should have done different linework to further differentiate it.
    How would I go about turning the saturation down for Stormcliff? Is there a way of doing it for the entire map, or would I have to adjust each individual layer?

For Littlebrook I followed one of Mike Schley's tutorials, so I'm glad you recognize his style. That means I did something right (Brainfart on my part here, I did not follow Mike Schley's tutorial, but one of Jonathan Roberts' from Fantastic Maps. I'm still glad you recognize his style though, since I do like his maps quite a bit as well )
    Last edited by Tilby; 06-22-2017 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Mistake on my part who the brain behind Fantastic Maps is

Lovely work on these. Stormcliff is my favourite. It's fab.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

These are really cute, Tilby! Especially the Stormcliff one, the colors are just adorable. I do like the simpleness of Littlebrook as well though. Wonderful maps, can't wait to see more!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Great maps. The first one is my favourite but it is more intimate and detailed so it would be. The colours are nice and bold - I don't really use greatly saturated colours myself - I suppose that is why I like seeing them in other maps. Some of your roof shading is a little inconsistent though. Also not a fan of using spots as shading for your trees - looks too much like a floating drop shadow. My only critiques that immediately come to mind though.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.