Thread: Where to start?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Normally I paint the sea right unto the background, but I think doing it as a layer may work better this time out.

What I may wind-up doing is scanning my hand-drawn reference and settting it as a layer to trace.

I think my problem may be visualizing the continent in relation to the backdrop... it's hard to explain.

Even I don't understand it.

I have the main continent drawn, with major rivers, lakes, and mountians/hills, along with two large forests, so I have the layout all worked out. I was able to draw it so quickly because I've been running it through my mind for about a year now, and knew pretty much exactly what I wanted where.

I also have a very rough sketch - just outlines, really - of the other major continents. Do you think I should just concentrate on the main one on my current canvas, and then add the others in, or outline them all now, and then concentrate on the one?

I figured a 4'x3' canvas was good for the world map, but now I don't know if I should just use the whole thing for the main continent (which would make the eventual World Map HUGE).

I also like to start with a continental outline, then play with colors until I get something that looks nice to me, then I add mountains/hills, rivers, forests, and cities in that order. Generally speaking. Since you already have a palette you wish to use, half of what I usually spend my time on is already done.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name