Thread: Likrim - a first GIMP experiment

Guild Novice

Wip Likrim - a first GIMP experiment

As I am new here I thought I would make an experiment to post. I have been following the tutorial here https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ead.php?t=1142 to make a regional map.

As a basis, I used the random map generator on this page https://mewo2.com/notes/terrain/ to create a sketch, shown here:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2017-06-20_20-35-41.png 
Views:	75 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	96847

I am now following the tutorial, based on that map.
    So far, I've finished most of the physical features. I'm pausing to consider how it looks before adding the cultural features.

Here is what I have so far:

Name:	GeneratedMap1-1stExport.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	196.8 KB 
ID:	96848

This image is scaled to 800x800 from the 1600x1600 original.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Interesting look but coastlines are fractal, yours is far too rounded and random to look natural. There's various tutorials on roughening up coastlines, I favour the Ripple method in Photoshop I'm sure there's a GIMP equivalent.

Guild Novice

I agree. I followed the tutorial, but at the start I did not know what it was doing. Now that I've gone through several steps I have a better idea what things do. I re-did the shoreline mask, turned up the noise, and got a rougher coastline. I might have to adjust the mountains and trees some more to fit the new coast, but I think it is a better effect.

This is all just practice anyway. It is interesting, although I think, not my favorite style. I will keep going on it to try out all the steps.

Name:	GeneratedMap-2ndExport.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	715.1 KB 
ID:	96930