Thread: Trees, man. Trees.

Question Trees, man. Trees.

I started a map in a different style than my other one (so I can see which I like better). But I've encountered a slight problem, and would appreciate some advice on the subject. I have no idea where to stop adding detail to trees in a forest. I start not drawing detail too soon and it looks like the trees have no leaves, start too late and it makes the whole perspective like off. Help
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mountain Scenery.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	96849
    Any advice or personal anecdotes about this problem would be appreciated
    All men are inevitably driven to their fate, one of the few things all have in common, no mater the circumstances of the birth.

You don't go so deep into details depicting forest on maps on that large scale. You dont draw leaves, just an "idea", shape of something that resemble a tree.

Here is a good reference-tutorial by djekspek.

New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    You don't go so deep into details depicting forest on maps on that large scale. You dont draw leaves, just an "idea", shape of something that resemble a tree.

Ah, thanks. I was trying to go for more of a "if I draw enough of these cramped together it'll eventually blend into a large mass of trees" approach, but now that I actually think about it, it would be easier to just create the entire mass of trees.
    All men are inevitably driven to their fate, one of the few things all have in common, no mater the circumstances of the birth.

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post

This is amazing I will definitely use this in the future, I didn't even know I needed it until I saw it