Thread: Tectonics

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Tectonics

Hello,

After reading other people's inspirational threads about how they worked out the plate tectonics, I decided I would also have a try. I am quite attached to where I had already decided long ago to place the mountains etc. so this is more of a retrospective 'fit'. I know some members are very knowledgable about tectonics and other processes, so please don't hold back on criticism. There are a few areas that I think might defy any tectonic based stuff, in which case it'll just have to be ~unexplained~ or ~mystical~.

I imagine the Western continent (middle section) was originally two plates which fused, with a mountain range in the centre. These are now pulling apart, and a big rift valley is occurring right down the middle. The eastern coast is having a massive mountain range being created, and the western side has an older mountain range a bit further inland. I don't really want to add any more island chains, but I would like to know where I should place volcanoes. I also don't know how to best explain the equatorial island chain: erosion from an older larger landmass, or oceanic plates colliding? Either way, the southern half of these isles is mountainous.

Edit: Green = old mountain ranges
    Edit: Added updated map

Any comments/criticism (please be as harsh as you like) more than welcome.

Thanks!

Edit 2: I've decided to explain some mountain ranges just as 'old' ranges from previously fused plates. This makes it a bit easer.

Updated: Attachment 96860
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tectonics Redone2.png 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	96863  
    Last edited by davoush; 06-24-2017 at 11:16 AM.