Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jdailey's Great Lakes Earth World Map Challenge

Map Jdailey's Great Lakes Earth World Map Challenge

Let us say that, in the future, some scientists have created satellites capable of something that seems science fiction for now — punching the walls of the universe to study an alternate reality. By that scenario, some hundreds of “alternate Earths” from hundreds of alternate universes would already have been discovered and meticulously studied. As much as half of them would still be ruled by humans, unfolded by events that turned out differently. One universe, for example, had an Earth where 9/11 never happened, or where the outcome of the Revolutionary and Civil Wars ended up differently.

One of the most interesting to note was a planet that scientists call “Alternate Earth 111”, known to the public as “Great Lakes Earth”.

Why?

Because at first glance, it seemed that almost every continent is dominated by lakes, even those larger than the Great Lakes that we have in North America. What is its history? What points of divergence would we expect to see in this particular variation?

This proved to be a long, backbreaking investigation because when our alt-satellites picked up Great Lakes Earth, it has discovered traces of civilization — traces roughly 100,000 years old. However, after years of picking up the pieces and speculating on the rest, we believe that we have mapped the entire geography and the best of the history of Great Lakes Earth.

But what would the map of Great Lakes Earth look like? That is where you come in.

Guidelines
    One--The map must be equirectangular.
    Two--Once you've got the equirectangular, you can now commence to Step I--add in the political boundaries and mark them in a dark color. (For further clarification, that includes all 50 United States and all of Canada's provinces and territories.)
    Three--Step II--add in the primary and secondary subdivisions, topographic contour lines and rivers and mark them all as one color, preferably lighter than the political boundaries'. (The only exception to this is don't add contour lines on Asia.)
    Four--Step III--Widen the Atlantic by 1350 miles, putting the Prime Meridian in Lisbon instead of Greenwich. Which creates a landbridge that connects Asia to North America, erasing the Bering Strait off the map and shrinking the Bering Sea. To that extent, it would be like turning the Russian urban locality of Egvekinot (66.3205 degrees North and 179.1184 degrees West) into the next-door neighbor of Teller, Alaska.
    Five--And finally, Step IV--Drag Australia so far down southward that the distance between it and Antarctica is cut by half.
    Six--Note that this will not be the fullest extent of Great Lakes Earth and that your entry will be just a base focusing on the two biggest and simplest changes.
    Seven--Most importantly, have fun!

I am not trying to be a dick here so correct me if wrong.

It looks to me that you are trying to get a commission made but don't want to pay anything for it, so you wrap as if it's a contest.
    It might help if you just flat out say that you don't have any money to spare and are looking for people that want to do it for free.

I think this commission has already been completed on another site. Can you confirm?

Didn't want to come out in the wrong direction.

Four--Step III--Widen the Atlantic by 1350 miles, putting the Prime Meridian in Lisbon instead of Greenwich. Which creates a landbridge that connects Asia to North America, erasing the Bering Strait off the map and shrinking the Bering Sea. To that extent, it would be like turning the Russian urban locality of Egvekinot (66.3205 degrees North and 179.1184 degrees West) into the next-door neighbor of Teller, Alaska.
    As I told you earlier, that part still doesn't make any sense.

How can it not? Just widen the Atlantic by those specifications. It's not quantum physics. And what do you mean, "As I told you earlier"? This was the first time you spoke to me.

Hello Jdailey

Please excuse me for interrupting the discussion here, but your description doesn't make an awful lot of sense to me either (not that I'm 'Brain of Britain or anything'). But maybe you could help us all to understand each other by drawing a rough sketch of what you mean?

I mean I don't care if you just chop a world map up and paste it with the continents in roughly the right place for what you want - rough is good - rough is better than no picture at all... if you see what I mean?

Put a vertical line in front of the Atlantic Ocean.
    From this line push right side by 675 miles to the right and left side 675 miles to the left. Both sides will overlap on each other on the other side (so not widen, but shift the continents both Americas with Greenland closer to the Asia, so that they connect).

Basicly he wants to cut about 1350 miles of Bering Sea (Pacific Ocean) along with some land and widen the Atlantic by the same number. This will push the Europe to the east making Lisbon the place where Prime Meridian will cross.

I dont think his numbers are correct (you need just about 112 km to connect Alaska with Asia), but maybe he want to push it even more.

I agree that his post is very chaotic though.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Oh you know me and numbers Voolf! LOL! If they aren't spot on I get lost, and even when they are spot on I can still get lost.

That's why I always prefer a sketch. A picture paints a thousand words....

So the person on the stack exchange with a similar name than yours and who is working on a project also named great lake earth is someone else? Then I must have confused you with someone else.

But your wrong. We already met here on an older thread.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast