Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Medieval map creation project, give me your thoughts

I was just curious since my finnish is quite poor.
    That expansion to the south is a bit of a surprise. A really nice one.
    I hope all goes well and we'll be seeing it progress. Seriously great project.

I really like your map. The mountains are really nice! The water seems a bit noisy, but this is a great work.

Praise What a great map!

Hello, Pasis.

WOW! What a great map. I'm really impressed with your mapping style. I do look forward to your continued work on this beauty and would hope that you'll think about writing a tutorial to document your mapping style.

Thank you for sharing your WIP and may I say it is very beautiful.

Regards,

Gary
    In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.
    © May 29, 1980

I have not been able to give too much time for this project for a while, but now we should be back on tracks again. Attached is the latest version in which I'm moving on to the south. The "new" area is not completely finished yet, but right after I get it finished I'll face the next challenge; a long mountain range in the south. So more will follow in the next few days.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Highlevel v4.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	4.33 MB 
ID:	9616  

I think you should delete the forest layer where the rivers and roads runs through it. It messes with the bevel effect. On the coast, it seems like the water is on top of the forest and sometimes the mountains seem flat under the forest. I think it could be fixed with some layer reordering

Hoel, you are a sharp guy… The forest is actually not deleted under the water in the new area. I'm not sure what happened, but it has to be that I sent an incorrect version of the map as I had to remake the upload version few times due to that the map was too close of 6000pixel limit and also I couldn't upload a map converted to jpeg by progressive algorithm as for some reason it always failed to attach the map.
    Sharp man you are even at this hour on Sunday

I'll let you get away with it this time then!
    I'm playing D&D over irc right now, my hangover is clearing up and I haven't got anyplace to be tomorrow. I do my best work at night.
    Please post the real deal, I really like this project.

Here we have the latest updates. Corrected the mistakes in the last version and added new mountain range to the south. It still needs a lot of details and adjustments. I also expanded the sea to east, west and to the south as the previous versions were a bit too tight (larger visible seas mean that I have to add some more islands in the future as well).

In my campaign we have not gone this far to the south yet, so I have not decided how many or how big cities I will have there. Also what has to be decided is the relationship and history with the northern neighbor as it affects to the city locations, fortifications etc.
    I have used all my textures already in the north and I would like to have something special in the south, but don't know yet what it could be.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Highlevel v5.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	4.48 MB 
ID:	9684  

Looks nice as always.
    One small thing thou: the small mountain range to the east of the new part seems a bit too sharp to fit. Maybe it's the texture, i don't know.
    As for specialities... why not go with the classic lava land!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This is coming along great...my only real tick against it is the texture on the water - for me at least it's a little "over-the-top" and draws your eye away from the really nice land work. I would reduce the opacity (or something) on that texture.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast