Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Medieval map creation project, give me your thoughts

Map coming along nicely... I have been playing with the water texture, but I have not been able to come up with any reasonable improvement, so I'll need to have a new go some time later.
    My intentions of the southern area is to have more dry areas along with some very humid forests and lot of hillsides. Location names, roads and symbols will come as soon as I get the main landscape in place.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Highlevel v6.jpg 
Views:	669 
Size:	4.49 MB 
ID:	9738  

Hey! Good job. I still like this map.
    Some minor issues:
    -The mountain south of Kielletty forest has some weird double effect, like you've used two layers but misaligned them.
    -The forest bevel still has some problems when they meet the north side of a mountain texture.
    Cheers

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Those desert mountains look totally sweet.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

In short the small forest in the middle of the dessert in the south has a dark history behind it. A long time a go there was a flourishing city in the coast just south from the dessert. There was also a road going to the city through the dessert and where the forest now is there was a very small oasis serving as a base camp for raiding bandits. Terrible things were done there to the passengers caught during the raids and over time the bandits became more and more bloodthirsty where money was no longer the goal for them.
    Stories tell that they did so many horrible things and worshipped some unknown evil that they were all killed in the end by the very evilness they adored. Some others believe that they killed each other in the madness they dwelt.
    Many years have passed and the oasis has dried out, but something evil still wanders there luring unaware travelers into the forest that doesn’t really exist and drowning them into the sand.

We are finally getting to the end of this project. Here are the latest updates:
    - Finalized the landscape in the south and in the middle of the map.
    - Created new icons for castles, ruins and various other symbols and replaced the old ones.
    - Added new cities, roads, bridges and a lot of places of interests.
    - Removed some of the unnatural rivers from the glacier. I still left some though as they have a certain purpose in the campaign.
    - Corrected the double effect on few mountains Hoel mentioned earlier.

Special note: There are a lot of small independent forests just north from the city Toran and the forests have unnatural shapes for a reason.

I will keep on adding details and tweaking this for few days, but I guess these will be the final times to give suggestions and affect the outcome of this WIP before I move it to the finished maps section.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bretorian v7.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	4.56 MB 
ID:	9987  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very nice work Pasis...

I still think the texture on the water is a bit much tho...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I've got nothing new to add. Looks good as always!

This is still an incredibly beautiful and detailed map Pasis. I love the battlesites and other details and the new icons look great. You might want to add some sort of effect to some of the icons however. Some of them look a bit flat and are hard to spot. Maybe add a subtle glow or something.

So how many hours did you sink into this beast?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Quote Originally Posted by pasis View Post
    In short the small forest in the middle of the dessert in the south has a dark history behind it. A long time a go there was a flourishing city in the coast just south from the dessert. There was also a road going to the city through the dessert and where the forest now is there was a very small oasis serving as a base camp for raiding bandits. Terrible things were done there to the passengers caught during the raids and over time the bandits became more and more bloodthirsty where money was no longer the goal for them.
    Stories tell that they did so many horrible things and worshipped some unknown evil that they were all killed in the end by the very evilness they adored. Some others believe that they killed each other in the madness they dwelt.
    Many years have passed and the oasis has dried out, but something evil still wanders there luring unaware travelers into the forest that doesn’t really exist and drowning them into the sand.
    Ah, thanks! An amazing amount of thought has gone into your map, with nothing placed by accident. Superb work, Pasis! You should enter this month's competition!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast