Thread: Tavern Interior WIP

Wip Tavern Interior WIP

After having done a few regional maps and town maps I wanted to try something a little different. The party in my D&D game recently started building their own tavern after being given a plot of land in the town for all the good deeds they had done.
    So I decided to give drawing the tavern interior a go. I opted for an isometric perspective, as I like the look and feel of it.

Here's a first WIP version:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tavern_WIP.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	153.1 KB 
ID:	97213

I am still debating whether I should add a stone texture to the walls, similar to the way I did the stairs and the fire places. I think the texture on the wall might add too much clutter to the image, and I kinda like the way it looks right now with the empty wall. The bar in the tavern room seems a little small compared to the tables and chairs. I might have to increase the size of it. Apart from that I am quite happy with how my first foray into isometric mapping has turned out. The next steps would be to start colouring, and eventually I'll also add the second level.

The drawing itself was all done digitally in GIMP, and I kept wondering if this kind of drawing wouldn't be easier in a vector program, but since I don't have any experience with those I opted for the more familiar territory.

Anyways, feedback is always welcome

This looks very neat. Good work!

Quote Originally Posted by HadrianVI View Post
    This looks very neat. Good work!
    Thanks, I'm glad you like it .

I've coloured it in now as well. So here's the latest WIP:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tavern_WIP_Coloured2.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	187.0 KB 
ID:	97281

I'll leave it at that for now though. I kinda need to draw something else now, before moving on the second level of the tavern.

Very fun to look at. Bravo!

There is a program where one can build own isometric taverns and more with set pieces in a style quite similar. But we mapmakers want to do everything our self : )
    Open for commissions
    Etsy

Quote Originally Posted by AdventureDepot View Post
    Very fun to look at. Bravo!

There is a program where one can build own isometric taverns and more with set pieces in a style quite similar. But we mapmakers want to do everything our self : )
    Thanks . I think I know the program you are talking about. There was a kickstarter at least for a program called Dungeon Builder, which used the isometric perspective. But you are right, it is much more fun to do it ourselves

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected flyenemu's Avatar

Tilby,

I have never attempted an isometric map before, but the success of yours inspires me to try! The texture you chose for the walls pleasantly contrasts with that of the floor, giving a distinct separation of vertical and horizontal orientation without pulling the eye away from the main focus. The color and design of the lighter furniture is easily identifiable, and further adds to the overall charm. If I were to change anything it would be the way you have displayed the inside walls. Due to their orientations lining up with the pattern of the flooring it makes it a bit hard to follow in the colored rendering. Perhaps you could offset the texture of the floor 45 degrees or give it a highlight of sorts? Additionally (and this may be due to the abuse I have forced upon my eyes), I would not have guessed those were footlockers at the end of the beds had I not looked at the uncolored rendering. At least for me, the darker shading of the chests, barrels and even the inside of the oven causes some of the detail to get muddy. Perhaps you could add a bit of color to help with contrast? In conclusion, your map is wonderful in providing both the layout and mood of the establishment. It is easy to read as a tavern, and I look forward to seeing the next floor! Thank you for sharing your work.
    An error has occurred while loading "Witty and/or Inspirational D&D Quote" and must close. Please try again later.

*(As Soon As I Finish Working On My Truck I Shall Begin Working On A Map Of My Own To Share)*

Thanks flyenemu! I'm glad you like it . I am myself not entirely happy with the simple black lines for the interior walls. Rather than cnagling the floor pattern differently though I was thinking about drawing the walls out in areas where they wouldn't hide too much behind them. That's good to know about the footlookers. For me it was always clear, since I knew what I was drawing . I'll see about lighting them up a little to show more of the detail. But I also want the wood colour to be clearly distinguishable from the rest.

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected flyenemu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tilby View Post
    Thanks flyenemu! I'm glad you like it . I am myself not entirely happy with the simple black lines for the interior walls. Rather than cnagling the floor pattern differently though I was thinking about drawing the walls out in areas where they wouldn't hide too much behind them. That's good to know about the footlookers. For me it was always clear, since I knew what I was drawing . I'll see about lighting them up a little to show more of the detail. But I also want the wood colour to be clearly distinguishable from the rest.
    Tilby,

I am happy to hear my opinions on your project are helpful! It is always exciting to see projects as the develop, and offer up what little advice is possible to help it toward its full potential. If you are thinking of illustrating the walls, might you be able to make them a bit transparent? An opaque inner wall might hide a bit of your map, which I would think you would be trying to avoid. I look forward to seeing your work continue to develop!
    An error has occurred while loading "Witty and/or Inspirational D&D Quote" and must close. Please try again later.

*(As Soon As I Finish Working On My Truck I Shall Begin Working On A Map Of My Own To Share)*