Thread: Kahael (hand-drawn, experimental)

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Map Kahael (hand-drawn, experimental)

Here is the land of Kahael,

Things I was experimenting on:

1. Using color pens instead of typical black -- I feel like the effect makes it more immature and fanciful
    2. Using different vegetation as an indicator of climate
    3. Using language meshes to illustrate world building (I used Arabic-Maori)

Any and all criticism is welcome! Thanks!
    (also this is my first content post, pls be gentle)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kahael 001.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	573.2 KB 
ID:	97574
    Last edited by Vanoitran; 07-15-2017 at 04:39 AM.

I always love a good hand-drawn map.

Don't be afraid to pencil in some guidelines for your inkwork. It's most noticeable in the title box, but throughout the map it looks like you have labels that are meant to be horizontal that drift. (This is something I learned the hard way -- I put a ton of work into a hand-drawn map, then when I stepped back to look at it, I saw that the city labels became more and more slanted as you went east across the map. Yours are much better than mine, but it's still helpful to have a guideline to where horizontal should be.)

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Mapsburgh View Post
    I always love a good hand-drawn map.

Don't be afraid to pencil in some guidelines for your inkwork. It's most noticeable in the title box, but throughout the map it looks like you have labels that are meant to be horizontal that drift. (This is something I learned the hard way -- I put a ton of work into a hand-drawn map, then when I stepped back to look at it, I saw that the city labels became more and more slanted as you went east across the map. Yours are much better than mine, but it's still helpful to have a guideline to where horizontal should be.)
    I really appreciate that bit of advice, I think I will do that, this happens way too often, but I was too afraid of eraser lines to set up a grid. Thanks for the confidence!

If you do get eraser lines, you can always clean them up in Photoshop after you scan it.