Thread: a map of the Territory of Lidea

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Default a map of the Territory of Lidea

This was a quick one to make - most of the topography was already finished, and much of the labelling was done from previous work done on bordering nations, so I just had to do the central area of the map.

The next map will likewise be a quick one, as it details the region to the W of here - Mharokk, which has even more work finished for it from this map and the Vaalk map I had done last year.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lidea - Low-res.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	4.85 MB 
ID:	97633

Lidea is a relic nation, bearing fragments of earlier nations, such as the Naahi empire and the City state of Conth, both of which were descended from the older and far greater Thym, which dominated northern Sammaea in the Fourth Age. Ruins and abandoned monuments of the Thymi empire can still be seen in the Jaellan plains and Atugur, though they are half-buried and eroded, their names unknown to most. More recent in the collective memories of Lideans are the ruins of the Korachani empire, which, following its sundering in 3705 RM abandoned the region to the reformed empire based in Sarastro, in the east. Most structures were converted by the Sarastroan government, though elsewhere they were left to rot or were torn down.

The region had been under Korachani control since 911 RM, after which lacer territories in the east (then controlling a 200-mile wide corridor between Ba’ath and Lidea) were destroyed. The people of Lidea acheived independence in 1280 RM, following the slaying of the Shaper Sæchin in Artalscelli, though Korachan later regained control in 1421 RM.

The river Shibboleth, one of the longest and most storied rivers in all of Elyden was dammed in Æthios in 2943 RM with the creation of the Alaundel dam, negatively impacting life downstream, including Lidea. Over subsequent years many settlements located along its course died after its flood cycles stopped. This was true of various nations along the course of the Shibboleth and forced the Korachani empire to send troops into Æthios in 3002 RM, finally destroying the dam in 3017 RM. Though by then most of its manufactories had fallen silent, the landscape changed by the appearance of the dam, the patrician and magnate houses that operated them, moving elsewhere.

One aspect of Lidean life I came up with (of all things, when watching a Joanna Lumley documentary about the Nile) was the drinking houses that form a focal point of Lidean communities:

Alcohol consumption is controlled in Lidea, and drinking is restricted to drinking halls - large structures that dominate all Lidean settlements. They are built around a large hall in which people drink and eat the tea and spicy foods the region is renowned for. It is common for Lideans to spend most of their free time in the drinking halls mingling with family and friends . Festivals and holidays are celebrated in the halls as much as they are in temple, and in some settlements the two can be the same structure.

Halls are segregated by sex so individuals can talk about subjects that are taboo with the opposite sex. Fourteen year olds of both sexes undergo a rite of passage with family, who urge them to drink until they get blisteringly drunk. Only after such an embarrassment are they considered to be adults, and can frequent the halls unchaperoned.

Each hall brew its own alcohol, leading to competition and partisanship amongst patrons.

I can't imagine that anything like this would be 'quick'!

Another shining example of perfection

And aside from the fact that we don't partake in any rituals or segregation (other than throwing the smokers out into the street to smoke), we call these drinking halls 'pubs' (short for public houses) in the UK

I still marvel at how detailed and realistic these maps are. Amazing work!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I can't imagine that anything like this would be 'quick'!

And aside from the fact that we don't partake in any rituals or segregation (other than throwing the smokers out into the street to smoke), we call these drinking halls 'pubs' (short for public houses) in the UK
    if Eastenders is anything to go by, the pubs have practically replaced church so it's close enough

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    I still marvel at how detailed and realistic these maps are. Amazing work!
    thanks

Hey, you're on a roll ! I agree with Mouse, it doesn't look like a "quickie". I'm admiring guys like you or Diamond for putting so many names and informations on your maps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Hey, you're on a roll ! I agree with Mouse, it doesn't look like a "quickie". I'm admiring guys like you or Diamond for putting so many names and informations on your maps.
    it's a bit of a time waster to be honest, especially in my case as I've forced myself to write up an entry in my notes for each place i detail in the maps - if it's named in the maps, I have at least a few sentences about it, including populations and interesting bits of history or notes on its main industries etc.

Guild Member
    Blog Entries

Ah, a serene traipse through the lovelies!

Here, we are treated to a bounty of beauty, subtle be her ways. A delightful style. Pleasing colors. You have massaged this cartographic lady well, my friend. She aims to please the eye!

You are a master of nuance, it seems, for the map's white space is filled with an ample assortment of visual goodies. Here, you do not go overboard, letting the map speak for itself. The large font that bedecks the large mountain ranges commands the eye, demanding audience with the map's viewer and imbuing the map with visual strength.

Just so much to love, and all free for the eye to take in at its leisure. Men would do well to heed your ways, for your textual prowess champions places worthy of visiting with the eye.

Bravo!