Thread: Handrawn Zaragoza -- WIP

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Wip Handrawn Zaragoza -- WIP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zarprog1 001.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	3.06 MB 
ID:	97739

I penciled in this map of a fantasy rendition of Zaragoza, Spain. Where do I go from here? I could/want to draw it out in pen, however I made many parts of it too small to be accurately covered by my pens (which are fine tipped as is). Anyone got any tips?
    Also if there is anything I should change (as it is still in pencil), I appreciate it.

For context:
    I sketched this on a stray piece of paper I found while I was at the Zurich Airport with a 17hr layover. (so I know the paper isnt perfect)
    Zaragoza is a city I lived in for a while. It really left a big impact on me so I decided to work from memory on the sights and places that changed my life there.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Can I ask a question?

What perspective are you going for with this map?

If it is not solely top down, then I find it strange that your perspective leans down left so much.
    Without a visual representation, let's say North is up here, a more natural perspective map would be a tilted North East or North West. But, the feeling I get from yours is more South East. (Look at the buildings that has more detail to see what I mean.

(Brainstorming. FOR A PERSPECTIVE LOOK. In keeping the walls where they are, and staying with the buildings with more detail(but with the 2D look), what I would try is the following. I would draw the buildings(the ones with the detail) with a horizontal base(foundation)(east to west) and draw the buildings in a North West OR North East direction to give the perspective look, even though the buildings are still 2D.) I hope this make sense. If not, be sure to ask.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Hello Vaniotran

I must admit that I couldn't have drawn a better map on a scrap of paper, presumably perched on a book on my knee in the middle of an airport

This might sound like a lot of hard work, but you could use this as the draft, or basic idea, and redraw the whole thing a lot larger in a 'final drawing' on better paper. That way you could incorporate all the suggestions you get on this thread (the ones that you like anyway), and tidy up all those eraser marks where the scrap has gone rather grey and dark with repeated use of the eraser.

Other than that, and if you don't want to redraw and you can use something like GIMP or PS on a reasonable scan of the map, I would strongly recommend scanning it and enlarging it, then working on it digitally to tidy it up and amend it before digitally inking it.

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    Can I ask a question?

What perspective are you going for with this map?

If it is not solely top down, then I find it strange that your perspective leans down left so much.
    Without a visual representation, let's say North is up here, a more natural perspective map would be a tilted North East or North West. But, the feeling I get from yours is more South East. (Look at the buildings that has more detail to see what I mean.

(Brainstorming. FOR A PERSPECTIVE LOOK. In keeping the walls where they are, and staying with the buildings with more detail(but with the 2D look), what I would try is the following. I would draw the buildings(the ones with the detail) with a horizontal base(foundation)(east to west) and draw the buildings in a North West OR North East direction to give the perspective look, even though the buildings are still 2D.) I hope this make sense. If not, be sure to ask.
    The perspective probably comes from me drawing it in an informal environment, it was just the way the paper was tilted while I was drawing it. How do you go about drawing from NE,NE?

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Hello Vaniotran

I must admit that I couldn't have drawn a better map on a scrap of paper, presumably perched on a book on my knee in the middle of an airport

This might sound like a lot of hard work, but you could use this as the draft, or basic idea, and redraw the whole thing a lot larger in a 'final drawing' on better paper. That way you could incorporate all the suggestions you get on this thread (the ones that you like anyway), and tidy up all those eraser marks where the scrap has gone rather grey and dark with repeated use of the eraser.

Other than that, and if you don't want to redraw and you can use something like GIMP or PS on a reasonable scan of the map, I would strongly recommend scanning it and enlarging it, then working on it digitally to tidy it up and amend it before digitally inking it.
    That would be a lot of work, but I think worthwhile. I like the idea of this map, and the original is good enough that I want to continue it. I appreciate the honesty!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Discuss

Quote Originally Posted by Vanoitran View Post
    The perspective probably comes from me drawing it in an informal environment, it was just the way the paper was tilted while I was drawing it. How do you go about drawing from NE,NE?
    Hmm, I was trying to draw an example. Though, it would take too long to get a decent example done. (Forget about the NE or NW for a moment, I don't think that describes it good enough.) So let's try something else.

Imagine this, you take a picture with a camera of your city(Imagine a real city). If it is taken from above, all the buildings will have a top down view (basically, you look at their roofs). But, the more you lean down to take a picture of your city from the side, the more the side of the buildings come into view. Keep in mind, the closest buildings the biggest and furthest the smallest -aside from if they castles and other very big buildings-. UNLESS you turned the camera off-centre while taking the photo.(Ever saw a picture of the sea horizon where the camera was turned off-centre? It immediately looks odd.)

It is incredibly hard to describe perspective. Hehe, but the CAMERA angle one is the one I use. You can use your eyes as the camera angle and then, keeping your head steady, look at things from top down to see what happens or to look at things from kneeling down and looking from the side to see how it looks different. And from those observations, it becomes easier to draw things in their right perspective.

When all is said, I think what I am saying is, what is important is to make sure from what camera angle you are drawing your city. Top down or Side,(Like my map. Though for the style I tried, I did tweak 2D assets to still give a 3D aspect to my perspective.)

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Vanoitran?

Do you draw your maps entirely by hand, or do you also scan them and work on them with Photoshop or GIMP?

I notice from your profile that you use GIS for work (I think that's what you said), but you don't mention whether you use more artistic apps like PS or GIMP.

The reason I ask is because you could just trace the original photograph you have there as an outline into either of those two apps and carry on there.

(It was just a thought about how you might save yourself a bit of trouble redrawing the whole thing again on paper )

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Vanoitran?

Do you draw your maps entirely by hand, or do you also scan them and work on them with Photoshop or GIMP?

I notice from your profile that you use GIS for work (I think that's what you said), but you don't mention whether you use more artistic apps like PS or GIMP.

The reason I ask is because you could just trace the original photograph you have there as an outline into either of those two apps and carry on there.

(It was just a thought about how you might save yourself a bit of trouble redrawing the whole thing again on paper )
    Unfortunately I just do the GIS work on Arc, someone else does the cartography -- so I have some GIMP and Adobe Illustrator experience but not a ton. What are you suggesting?

Only if you want to, and think it might work - to scan the original and open it in PS or GIMP and enlarge it, then add a layer over the top of it and start working on the drawing on a PC - instead of having to draw it all over again on paper.

It depends on what you feel comfortable with