Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: City of Concordia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Wip City of Concordia

Admittedly, that's a more or less completed map. But I would like to get some feedback before I call it finished.

The City of Concordia is a Venice-like city state, placed within large lagunas, surrounded by small dependent communities.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Concordia.jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	4.84 MB 
ID:	96756  

Oh that's beautiful!

The only thing I don't like all that much is the font you have used on the map - but there's a very weird reason for that.

I'm old enough to have learned touch typing on a mechanical typewriter, and the thing about mechanical typewriters is that when they wear out some of the letters start to jump up or down relative to the imaginary line they are on. This misplacing of the letters became a pet hate of mine, since I was forever having to adjust the little levers to try and make them even again to satisfy the boss that his letters at the very least looked presentable (even if he did have a tendency to waffle).

So - if you ignore my pet hate of that particular font, and if I also try my very best not to see it in those labels, its perfect

Excellent map Sapiento. Everything is done very well and there is nothing that would stand out and say i dont fit here... regarding the style od the map.

I agree with Mouse on the font too, but for me it's a perfect match on the map and left bottom emblem. Just not in the legend. There is too much of the fancy capital letters and somehow they look like mess to me. Those fancy capital letters look good if there is only one at the beginning of a longer paragraph, but not every single world.
    I would keep the font for A,B,C..., but change (or maybe do all with small letters?) the numbered labels.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

I also think it is a beautiful map. I looked it over for quite a while and I can't find anything wrong with it. The lettering doesn't bother me so much but I can see Mouse's point.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Thank you, guys. I will give the font a second look, however, usually I stay with the chosen font as I spend some time trying several before I chose one.
    And I spotted a typo.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I actually like that font quite a bit. It gives the map character. I spotted a typo, Sap. (Maybe the same one you saw.) For #24, you've got a second letter I in 'Intervention'.

I really like the layout of this city - it feels very organic and natural.

Actually, if you have the name of the font, I'm interested. Original and legible is not a cocktail that current.
    About the map, I like the cohesive representation of both buildings and marshlands, it's very efficient and sells the map as a whole. I'm not fond of the many coastal ripples. I'd propose to use less and to space them more as you go further from the coast but it's a matter of personal taste.
    Great job !

BTW Diamond, I'd love it if you started a thread with your favorite fonts. You have a gift for finding beautiful ones that are also very legible. As I said above, a not so common pair.
    Last edited by ThomasR; 06-25-2017 at 02:22 PM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    BTW Diamond, I'd love it if you started a thread with your favorite fonts. You have a gift for finding beautiful ones that are also very legible. As I said above, a not so common pair.
    Anyone can start a thread like that - it's a really good idea! It doesn't just have to be my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Anyone can start a thread like that - it's a really good idea! It doesn't just have to be my favorites.
    True ... but still ...

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    True ... but still ...
    Maybe not quite what you're looking for, but there is a thread full of typography suggestions here. There could be some dead links in the first few pages, given that it goes back to 2007, but the later pages hopefully still have working links.

Sapiento, sorry for the minor thread hi-jack. Your map is gorgeous and I love the font you've chosen in the legend. Can I ask why you've chosen a slightly different blackletter font for the title cartouche?
    Last edited by ChickPea; 06-26-2017 at 09:15 AM.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast