Thread: Shang Dynasty

Default Shang Dynasty

The Shang Dynasty is seen as the beginning of China's Dynastic Period, they were the successor state to the Xia Dynasty which established itself as the first kingdom in china. The Shang Ruled from approximately 1760 - 1122 B.C.E. though the exact time frame is still debated heavily. The earliest known Chinese writing was found on "Oracle Bones" throughout the Shang Dynasty's former territory. Bronze works from the Shang are still being excavated to this day and are considered sophisticated for their time.
    The exact extent of the Shang Dynasty's territory is debated heavily. New excavations are challenging the current theories of their maximal extent; what is known for sure is that their Kingdom encompassed a large portion of the Chinese plains and heavily concentrated around the Huang He River (Yellow River).
    The largest and most likely final "permanent" capital was Located in Yin, in the vicinity of the modern city of Anyang; the city was founded by Pan Geng in roughly 1400 B.C.E.
    The principle supporting crops for this vast kingdom were millet and rice which had spread into the region around 3,000 B.C.E.
    The Shang Dynasty fell at their defeat to their former vassal the Zhou in 1122 B.C.E at the battle of Chaoge; sparking the beginning of the Zhou dynasty.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shang 2.png 
Views:	170 
Size:	2.71 MB 
ID:	97797

Notes:
    This project took a LOT longer than I had originally thought, I had to do a ton of research into the names of the excavations as well as the issue of the border dispute. There are nearly 10 different leading theories as to their maximal extent, hence I put some of the southern and western borders in dashed lines representing the unknown status of the region.
    I really enjoyed making this historically accurate map because of the immense difference in time that's occurred since then. 1700 B.C.E. was 3,700 years ago and how far we've progressed since these Bronze Age kingdoms.
    This map was inspired by cyowari 's fantastic map Link Here
    This map was completed in 10th of May

Great map Zalezsky. It really seems like you put much effort to the reaserch here. The final effect is awesome. I am getting more nad more inspired by topographic maps.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Great map Zalezsky. It really seems like you put much effort to the reaserch here. The final effect is awesome. I am getting more nad more inspired by topographic maps.
    Thank you! I appreciate it

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Very nice map! As pulled out from an atlas!

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Very nice map! As pulled out from an atlas!
    Thank you I tried to make it seem as professional as possible

You're quite prolific! Another very good one, Zalesky.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    You're quite prolific! Another very good one, Zalesky.
    Quote Originally Posted by FrancescaBaerald View Post
    Excellent map!!
    Thanks means a ton coming from you both

Very nice map! Looks very professional! (: