Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: January Challenge: Create a Map for Print!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by monks View Post
    oooh nice! I think i might enter this. How do I do that..anyone?

monks
    Theres a section on the forums about the challenges of which this thread is part of. One of the threads is the general challenge instructions. Basically you need to add a new thread labeled January Entry: My Map Title etc and start putting wips in there. Theres the thumbnail scraper tag too where you put a ### Latest WIP ### as the last line of any post that contains a new WIP image and then a script will snag them and make up the thumbnails page of correct and latest WIP images.

Edit -- whoops should have said January Entry: Title. (modified post).

Well what do you know - one I can actually particiapte in (and may be able to finish).

One of my earliest PS maps - and the only one that is not derivitive - was made at a really bad resolution (so low I don't think they even invented a number for it LOL). It was also pretty amateurish - although I was proud of it at the time - and I've always wanted to 're-visit' it.

This gives me the perfect excuse, and gets me away from cartographic 'writer's block' I'm having with the world map.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    @Bryguy - How about a map of a place in your favorite book? I think even if its based off of a map in the book as long as you give credit to the original artist you should be OK.

** Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this **
    Becasuse I mostly do Forgotten Realms maps, I am VERY familiar with this problem.

NO... you cannot use someone else's IP (Intellectual Property) for any commercial endeavor without seeking their express permission first. Derivations do not fall under 'fair useage'.

I get away with doing what I do because I do not except any money for it... even when offerred. I cannot legally except payment for a map containing IP belonging to WotC/Hasbro (except from Hasbro... but that will never happen).

Blog Entries

I don't think people are making money from these maps. The prize is just a print of it. Its a fine line I admit and I know people got stopped from producing iced birthday cakes with disney characters on them. GP will print Annas maps and he has permission from Anna but the Greyhawk campaign world is owned. GP - does Anna have that permission or can we do 'own work' campaign world maps from books and similar stuff ?

Post Regarding Anna's maps...

The way Anna explained it to me - first know that Anna is from Sweden and their laws may be different compared to anywhere else, however, her renditions of Greyhawk is her work, not WotC. She owns them and WotC cannot stop her from creating them. Sharing her maps is different though, and the laws are a bit shakey on these grounds.

I am charging for the printing, laminating and shipping of the maps. I am not charging for the map itself - it is essentially being freely distributed. Money from sales is paying for the work in creating the print, not the map itself.

To those who own the maps, a price may be assigned for distributorship - in Anna's case however, she essentially wants to freely share her work with the world. If you order her maps, you are ordering the printing, not the map.

One cannot sell maps that one did not create, without permission from the creator.

If a client such as a member here orders a map to be printed. I am not charging them for their map, I am charging for the work of printing, finishing and shipping.

Although I do have publisher clients who have assigned a minimum surcharge over and above my map printing charges (which I pay them monthly), almost all the publishers work that I print, there is no surcharge - the maps are available freely, you just pay for the printed work.

I have an attorney and these issues have been discussed. In many ways the work that I offer sits outside the laws, in that the laws specifically apply to those taking ownership where they don't have the right. I am not taking ownership at all. I am only offering a print service.

Believe me, if WotC called for a cease and desist order on Anna's maps, I would stop immediately. Anna has tried to contact WotC, with no response.

That's where I sit in the legal issues involved here. So unless I'm told otherwise I will continue to offer Gamer Printshop services.

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 01-06-2009 at 05:26 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Blog Entries

Ok so doing a book map is ok for this challenge. Its important to me as this is looking like what I want to do. Own work completely but of a book map - not WotC in this case and I want to give the map out freely its never going to be charged for. Thats ok then yeah ?

Post Yes..

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Ok so doing a book map is ok for this challenge. Its important to me as this is looking like what I want to do. Own work completely but of a book map - not WotC in this case and I want to give the map out freely its never going to be charged for. Thats ok then yeah ?
    Yes, you are not breaking any laws by creating a map used in another publication, as this is not for profit or distribution. And should the winner at the end of the month use published material, I will not include that in the Ecommerce site for distribution - for the reasons just discussed. The posting to my site for sales are only maps of original creations.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

I'm going to post my first WIP for the challenge right now. What do I put in the title? "January Entry: Carlsborg 1890"?
    I have figured out that i should put it in the current challenge board.
    I guess I can edit the post if i do it wrong.

/Hoel -always fails his first attempt

Post Yes, Hoel!

Yes, Hoel, make sure that is your title: "January Entry:.... whatever you want to call it..."

Just create a new post, name it thusly and post your start map, that's it! Looking forward to your first challenge entry, Hoel!

GP

PS: boy this thread has had lots of posts since I posted it less than 24 hours ago, hopefully that's a good sign that we'll have lots of partipants this month, got my fingers crossed!
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 01-06-2009 at 06:25 PM.
    DrivethruRPG store

There, it's up, take a look and say what's wrong

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Yes, you are not breaking any laws by creating a map used in another publication, as this is not for profit or distribution. And should the winner at the end of the month use published material, I will not include that in the Ecommerce site for distribution - for the reasons just discussed. The posting to my site for sales are only maps of original creations.

GP
    OK, good I'm glad we got that straitened out. Because I was also thinking of doing a rendition of a map from a book.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast