Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the Prefecture of Mharokk

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Default the Prefecture of Mharokk

I was able to get another map done (3 in a month - certainly a record!). Again, most of this map was already finished thanks to me having already worked on surrounding regions earlier on in the year, so I just had to update the parts I haven't touched on before.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mharokk - low-res.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	4.48 MB 
ID:	98073

Like its neighbour Vaalk, Mharokk is descended from an ancient Fourth Age nation known as Sallon. Late in the Fourth Age the region was beset by a barbaric people known as the aati, who terrorised Sallon’s southern territories. Sallon, already beleaguered by a waning government and a corrupt decadent people, could not weather the attacks and fragmented. Its major cities were looted and the remained splintered into scion-nations, one of which would later become Mharokk.

Mharokk is a waning nation. Abused of its resources by the Korachani empire, its is now a waning state, its borders slowly shrunk even as its parent state - the Low-empire of Sarastro - did little to aid it. Its people, much like its lands, have been exploited over their millennia of vassalage to both Korachan and later Sarastro, though have managed to maintain their culture through all this.

Mharokk is land known for its great oral traditions and its mythographers, whose memories are considered to be amongst the most prodigious across the Inner Sea. Its cities are characterised by sandstone walls and large vaulted semi-subterranean markets, which are designed to keep them cool. Its people have, since before the coming of the Korachani empire, been breeders of animals and are known for their ‘tame’ hippopotmoi and their soldier-caste who ride them and Mharokk is probably most known to outsiders for its mercenaries, the famed Simhaluans, despite their culture having died out centuries ago.

The sundering of Korachan in 3705 RM left Mharokk an independent place, unwanted by Sarastro, but the emergence of the nation of Harappa in 3754 RM from its north-eastern-most territories, caused Sarastro to take control of its territories to safeguard what resources remained there. The capital of Nuthachan was lost to Harappa, causing the city of Takuh to become capital instead.

Shar Suryah, a saurholm (lizardfolk) became kratocrat of the city of Hitta 3893 RM, becoming a popular leader there. He openly defied the Sarastroan administration in Takuh in 3901 RM, winning many settlements over to his cause. His forces were attacked outside Hitta in 3913 RM, losing the battle, with the city retaken by Sarastro. The remaining forces disappeared alongside Shar, though they later reappeared from the south in 3919 RM, where he crushed many cities in the south of Mharokk, becoming autocrat of Takuh in 3920 RM, expelling the remnants of the Sarastoran administration within 2 decades. Hitta remains a Sarastroan territory to this day.

Really nice work, vorro. Astounding world building.
    I'm guessing there's a key someplace else [another page of this impressive work] for all the symbols scattered around? Do you have a link for where that could be viewed?
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

This is really impressive! I would like to know more about your world, is there a place where I can find info?

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Really nice work, vorro. Astounding world building.
    I'm guessing there's a key someplace else [another page of this impressive work] for all the symbols scattered around? Do you have a link for where that could be viewed?
    here you go:

Name:	page effects - landscape.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	5.71 MB 
ID:	98078

its not 100% updated with some of the icons on this map, but it's close-enough

Three in a month and all of such high quality, that's an impressive production line you have going there!

Quote Originally Posted by vorropohaiah View Post
    here you go: ...
    its not 100% updated with some of the icons on this map, but it's close-enough
    Thank you!
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Another perfect gem in your collection!

You must be close to finishing the entire planet by now!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Your maps continue to be awesome, Nate. And even more than the maps, I admire your dedication to this project. Also, this was funny:

Name:	vorrocrime.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	98091

Crime as an industry/resource? Is Detroit on one of these maps?

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    This is just one region (and a smallish one, if I recall) of the entire planet! He'll be doing this until he's 90. Then he'll be dissatisfied and start all over again (if he's anything like me).

Quote Originally Posted by QED42 View Post
    Three in a month and all of such high quality, that's an impressive production line you have going there!
    thanks. It's not very pretty in terms of coastlines and features, but that's what that region looks like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Another perfect gem in your collection!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    This is just one region (and a smallish one, if I recall) of the entire planet! He'll be doing this until he's 90. Then he'll be dissatisfied and start all over again (if he's anything like me).
    Diamond's right! The maps I've finished so far are roughly equivalent to the roman empire surrounding the Mediterranean Sea. I don't really plan on detailing other regions as thoroughly as these atlas maps (for now) and might do some older-looking maps, like age of discovery style, but not for now.

And I'm already dissatisfied with most of the results, so... :p

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Your maps continue to be awesome, Nate. And even more than the maps, I admire your dedication to this project. Also, this was funny:

Name:	vorrocrime.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	98091

Crime as an industry/resource? Is Detroit on one of these maps?
    think of it as organised crime (like Sicilian mafia) or just places with horrible crime rates or even civil strife.

Another nice one, Vorro . Thanks for the global key map, it's clearly very well thought and so efficient! Did you used some base free icons or did you do them from scratch?
    Once again, an inspiring model to follow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast